Wow...Replaced airbox with cone filter on 3.1

JoBo 3.1

I did it today and noticed a suprisingly nice difference. It seems to have better response and pull a little nicer in the upper Rpm's. I like it. I had a spare cone filter laying around so i decided to put it to good use. I really like the sound that it makes as well. When you put the pedal down it roars! Sounds VERY different from my old Probe 2.0L I4 and all the Honda's you hear with intakes. This actually sounds good!!

It will Probably be the only mod I do the the Lumina.... still awaiting my Grand Prix 3.4!!!

-Joe

yeah after i put my cone filter on my Lumina 3.1 i noticed a bit of difference in the sound too. it sounds alot deeper!

now you should work on putting the cone in your fender well :wink:

There are no FIPKs for w-bodies.

OK, so what brand did you guys buy?

almost everyone either fabricated their own or modified a kit for a different car. There are a few out there for our cars. I think RSM makes one if I remember correctly.

a core charge is when they sell you a remanufactured part. they take old crappy parts and refurbish them. the "core" that they charge for is the old broken down part that you are replacing. you can either eat the $100 charge and keep your old part, or give them your old part and they will give you your $100 back.

Yeah, it sounds good, but it is sucking alot of hot air once the motor/exhaust manifolds heat up. I wanna try and fab up a 3" pipe from where the factory rubber pipe stops and route it down towards the front if i can. It seems like there is enough room to fit a pipe down there and then slap the filter on the pipe from underneath.

As for losing Low end Torque.... I havn't really noticed a loss. But I did notice a LITTLE gain in the upper Rpm's. I was thinking like 50Whp too!! :lol:

But seriously.... maybe 5.

-Joe

-Joe

94' Probe 2.0L- R.I.P

Best 1/4: 15.760 @ 86.50

89' Probe GT Turbo

Best 1/4: 14.5 @ 95.23

93' Lumina 3.1L..... the daily

I know this is off topic, but I am curious as to what mods you put on the '94 Probe to get it to run 15.76???

also... i got my intake on ebay for something around $30 shipped. intake_power and intakepro sellers carry them

i don't know about the one you bought on ebay, but there are a lot of crappy knock off intakes that get sold there...

yeah i know i dont really care if its a knock off or not. all the other companies do is buy the same $3 worth of parts and mark it up 5000%

that is not necessarily true. I'm sure RSM for example uses higher quality materials than some knock off you can get on ebay. Otherwise, I'm sure they wouldn't charge over $100 for an intake.

that is not necessarily true. I'm sure RSM for example uses higher quality materials than some knock off you can get on ebay. Otherwise, I'm sure they wouldn't charge over $100 for an intake.

I know RSM uses actual K&N filters (they did on Canada's original WAI for his Beretta anyway), not some APC NON washable piece of crap.

Just as long as the intake's piping is mandrel bent, properly sized and uses a WASHABLE cotton-gauze filter, you are ok.

And like I've said before.............it doesn't take much to turn a cheapo E-Bay intake into a REAL cold air setup (non fenderwell, but a LOT better than having a cone filter in the stock airbox location).

I know RSM uses actual K&N filters (they did on Canada's original WAI for his Beretta anyway), not some APC NON washable piece of crap.

Just as long as the intake's piping is mandrel bent, properly sized and uses a WASHABLE cotton-gauze filter, you are ok.

And like I've said before.............it doesn't take much to turn a cheapo E-Bay intake into a REAL cold air setup (non fenderwell, but a LOT better than having a cone filter in the stock airbox location).