Chrome or Silver?

GnatGoSplat

Which wheels do you like better on my car?  

1. 1. Which wheels do you like better on my car?

It's getting about that time, I think I have enough money saved up for some new wheels.

What do YOU think looks better on my car, chrome or silver?

CHROME

olds-ae077-chrome.jpg

SILVER

olds-ae077-silver.jpg

I can't decide. I like how the chrome stands out, sparkles, and shines as I drive. However, the silver would match the ground-effects. My wife thinks my taste is pimpy so she thinks I should go for chrome. I'm not sure. She says both of us have opposite taste of the majority, so she recommended I post a poll and do the opposite of what everyone else likes. :lol:

I don't want polished. I had bought polished before, but sold them because I decided if I want the chrome look, I'd rather go all the way and get real chrome.

Guest Anonymous

I like the way both look but I would go with chrome. The silver looks more like something that would come stock. I don't know why, they just do. Either way it's going to be sharp looking. :rocking:

i am always against chrome rims becuase where i live they look like a ghetto car, when you live in a Brady Bunch town only 2 miles away from Newark NJ and somebody passes by with chrome rims, dark windows and music blasting loud you know they are from Newark and cops always stop those cars and check them.

I agree with those in favour of Silver...I'm not a big fan of chrome...I am, however, a pretty big fan of White Rims...when I buy mine this summer, I think I'll shoot for white...

The chrome looks better on 5 spoke wheels and on those wheels specifically....but in my opinion i think u should go an inch or 2 smaller in diameter. Is that the size u plan on getting in those pics?

gmrulz4u - I used Photoshop v5.0. I know it's several versions old, but I'm not sure what's current. I need to get 6.0 from my dad.

ismellrealbad - Yes, that is the size I plan to get (18"). To me 18" looks just right and the price of tires is high, but not ridiculous like 19" or 20". My wife is right, my taste must be kind of pimpy because I really don't want to go smaller. I think 16" looks bad like a 4x4 and 17" doesn't look different enough. To me 18" on this size car looks like a perfect tire to wheel ratio. My wife parked the 94 Cutty next to a black Mitsu 3000GT with chrome 18's and she's thinking we need 18's on the 94 also! :)

Chrome has that 8) factor you know.

But silver is cheaper.

I know! Go with chrome rears and silver fronts. Then you'd really be "blingin"

Photoshop 7.0 is the newest I think.

i have no prob with those size wheels, but they seem to float up too high into the wheelwells giving it an awkward look. with rims 18" and bigger i think they only look real good on certain cars. then again, when i look at the little pic under the Wbody logo it looks really cool. i dunno im undecided now grrr

Shawn,

Personally, the 17" silver because the ground effects will match and by uses the chrome you asking for "race me"... but if that's what your looking for, go for it. Theres a ton of kids here that slap on 'homies chromies' on a shitbox that doesn't deserve the rubber... so I'd do silver. It's got class!

- RedFox340

i have no prob with those size wheels, but they seem to float up too high into the wheelwells giving it an awkward look. with rims 18" and bigger i think they only look real good on certain cars. then again, when i look at the little pic under the Wbody logo it looks really cool. i dunno im undecided now grrr

Well, the floating up in to the wheel wells thing is Photoshop too. The car is lowered 3+ inches. In real life it wouldn't look like that, mainly because I can't lower the car that much. I like 'em when they're just tucking the top of the tire, but I know it's not practical. In real life I plan to lower the car 1.5" or so.

The pic in the W-body logo is the same pic as these, just smaller and the wheels on it are the same too, but the contrast is in between chrome and silver (to simulate polished, which is what I had before).

i knew the pic in the w-body logo was the same, but because of its smallness is why i thought it looked better. now i keep changing my mind too, im starting to like the way the silvers look. damn you better not listen to me im a wreck in this descision :P Like redturbo said i think theyll look good either way

I really think chrome rims look terrible. In fact I think chrome anything looks terrible, except for exhaust tips. To me, seeing the car with the silver rims I would be like "WOW that guy did such a nice job on that car its so sweet", and I would walk over and take a look at it. with the chrome wheels, even if they were the EXACT SAME WHEELS, I would think "god that guy ruined that car I can't believe he put those ghetto wheels on it".

Thats my 2 cents, and of course I know you will do what you want, but you DID ask!!! :D

-Tom

I really think chrome rims look terrible. In fact I think chrome anything looks terrible, except for exhaust tips. To me, seeing the car with the silver rims I would be like "WOW that guy did such a nice job on that car its so sweet", and I would walk over and take a look at it. with the chrome wheels, even if they were the EXACT SAME WHEELS, I would think "god that guy ruined that car I can't believe he put those ghetto wheels on it".

:lol: Well, I know my taste is very different than yours, Tom. The only reason I'm even unsure is because the car has silver ground-effects. If my car were black, I would definitely get chrome. In my book, black cars MUST get chrome rims! Nothing else looks good on black except chrome (or polished) IMO... but alas my car is red & silver 2 tone...

I lean one way, then I lean the other. Looks like the W-body community as a whole do too! It's pretty much an even split so far.

I TOTALLY know what you mean Shawn...one minute I'm thinking "OK, I'm definitly going to paint my car all white"....ten minutes later I'm back to "No, I'm going to keep the ground effects Gray"...back and forth, back and forth...:)

So I guess whatever I'm feeling the day it actually GETS painted, is what it will be!? Hell, I may even end-up trying to Stop them half-way :lol: One side will be all white, and the other will be two-toned :lol:

Same goes for rims, one day it's all white, the next, silver or polished etc...

I say get the silver, it goes with the rest of the car better. Rims that dont match some other part of the car look too much like an afterthought. Now, if you had chrome bumpers or rocker panels or something, or monotone paint, it'd be a different story.

I say go with the silver ones. I had chrome ones on my Cutlass, and the day afte I wash my car, they look bad. They are hard to keep clean, plus you have the added risk of someone trying to steal them. I agree with 18 being about perfect. I tried some 20's on my car, and they were too big, and the 15's were too small (that is what the car came with). I have 16's on it now, but I think that I want 18's.

n my book, black cars MUST get chrome rims! Nothing else looks good on black except chrome (or polished) IMO...

Along those lines of taste then, in keeping with black looking better with chrome (and I see what you mean how it looks good - I just don't like chrome independent of what color car its on), I still think that your car would look better with the silver if only from the perspective that a 2-tone car with yet a third tone to the rims starts to look a bit "cluttered". Maybe that isn't the best word for it but I can't think of a better one!!! :D

-Tom

My wife thinks I need chrome because I have "gangsta" taste (her word) and I like pimpmobiles.

I showed her this Caddy I found on Ebay that I kinda liked, she said, "it looks like you". :lol:

I'll bet most of you guys would think it looks gross, but I really do like it.

cadillac1.jpg

Oh, I can't decide on the silver vs. chrome thing. I've discovered the wheels I want may no longer be available in silver so I may pretty much have to get chrome. They come in polished too, but I figure why bother just for a dingy chrome.

Tom, that looks like a nice car. It would look even better with the chrome 18" 5-stars that I photoshopped on my Cutlass. :)

If I were to get a Regal, I'd want the 88-94 GS ground-effects on it too.