just wondering, this just occurred to me

BlueCutSupreme

would there be any way to rig up your cd player with a detachable face to where when the face was removed, the cd player housing, when touched, would send a 12 volt shot to an unsuspecting criminal...Cuz i know usually they use those removal keys/pins to extract the cd player and it would be wonderful to send a shock through them in the event they tried. I'd still like to leave my doors unlocked in my driveway, seeing as that to replace a window would cost more than a cd player (of about $150-200 value). I'm about to buy a new cd player with a detachable face and doubt how much removing the face would deter a break in. hit me up with thoughts on what i should do

No, because:

1. The chassis of the stereo is grounded and MUST be grounded for the stereo to function.

2. You will not receive a shock from 12V. Even if you completed the circuit by putting one finger on the negative battery post and another finger on the positive battery post, your internal body resistance is so high (several megohms) you would not experience any significant shock. You will need thousands of volts to create a shock that can be felt.

3. In most states, criminals can sue you and win if you booby trap your property!

ok...gotcha on numbers 1&2, but 3....fuck that's so wrong. someone was telling me in europe u could put whatever u want on oyur car, katana blades, etc.. dunno if it's true but he also said in the US we have restrictions on that. I wonder what the logic is behind a criminal breaking into your stuff and getting hurt then him suing u and winning...makes no sense.

Makes no sense to me either. I believe it's actually a law in some states that it's illegal to booby trap your own property. I know it is illegal here to booby trap anything.

It's stupid, I think if it's possible to prove the criminal was in the act of committing a crime, no one is responsible to whatever happens to him during that act.

fuck that's so wrong.

No shit. It's not better in Europe , though. In UK it is illegal to tell a cop that any item you posess is meant for self defence (even if it's a walking stick) because that gets you busted for intent to commit assault. If somebody breaks into your house and you whack them with a 2x4 in the process, you go to jail, not the burglar. There's Europe and then there's Europe, in Switzerland every able-bodied male is required by law to keep an assault rifle at home. Don't hear much about Swiss crime, do you?

But isn't every Swiss male required to take Military training too? [i read about it somewhere]

Of course. Why would you require having guns for people who don't know how to use them?