Newbie with 92 Z34 5spd ??

MaXxOd

Happy New Year!.......I am a newb to these cars, but really like what I see on this site. This seems to be a cool place to hang out and talk cars.....

I recently found a 1992 Lumina Z34 5spd for sale. The car is in great shape, but the car has high milage. 197,000 mi. Is this a rare care with the 5spd?

The car is red with grey interior. I can get the car for $1,200...maybe less.

Are the 3.4 DOHC engines hard to locate in the bone yards?

Anything specific to the 5spd cars?

Thanx ahead for any responses......

:D

Guest Anonymous

197,000 is high for that motor. I'm not saying it's junk but if proper maint. wasn't done, forget it. Find out how old the timing belt and alternator are.

grab it up. those cars are fun, I'd kill for a 5 speed in my cutlass. oh well, engines can be fixed, and if it runs, I'm sure a fresh oil change, coolant, a new t belt, and some other, minor, usually overlooked maintainence will bring it around to the good if it isn't there already.

I agree with everybody on this. Your going to have to find out about any maintenace, but you can replace that 3.4 with a j/y motor. The 5 speed is what makes this car sound appealing IMHO. Goodluck

im freaking jealous. i wanted a Z34 5-speed for so long(mine was AT) but i could never find one in my area. it may need some maint. but they are so fun to drive. its a head turner too cuz a lot of people asked me what it was cuz they thought it was a beretta. it is rare with a 5-speed BTW. thats a killer price too. GET IT!!!

Yeah man... i would Def snatch it up. As long as there is no rust, major dents, interior is good and she runs.....get it. 1200 or less for that car in the 5 speed.... hell if i could find another one in a 5-speed, i would get it! The 3.4's are usually hard to come by in the bone yards.... at least around here. My Z34 5-speed I had blew up. she threw a rod for god knows what reason. I had a New motor put in by a Chevy dealer, then I traded it in for a POS..and I mean POS 2001 VW GTI 1.8L Turbo. I got the GTI Brand new in 2001, tranny went(6 months), slave cylinder(day I got it), and damn window regulators kept breaking and windows falling down into the doors!! don't ever buy a VW... I hate them now.

get the car man... do all the maintenence yourself so you know what has been done. You should not have a Problem.....Good Luck!!

-Joe

JoBo, my white one is for sale, have it as high 13s or high 14s :wink:

As for the parts that were specific to 5-speeds. SOme autos got them, but they had to be speccially ordered. The 5-speeds in 1991-1993 made 210hp and 215tq, 10hp and 15tq higher than the autos, due to 9.5:1 c/r over the 9.25 of the autos. Becuz of the compression bump, they also got a standard AIR injection system, which were only on autos if specially ordered. The 5-speeds also came with a factory standard oil cooler, something VERY few autos have. I thinkt hat is it. I'd jump on it. I bought my red car WITH a blown engine for 900, perfect body, perfect tranny, 106k, and I think it was a good deal.

$1200???

Drive one, then you'll be convinced the tranny alone is worht that much. The cars are a ton more fun to drive, and faster. Plus you get to hear this beast at 7,000rpm :twisted:

Drive one, then you'll be convinced the tranny alone is worht that much. The cars are a ton more fun to drive, and faster. Plus you get to hear this beast at 7,000rpm

I agree 110% percent. There really is a night and day difference between the auto and 5 speed 3.4 cars. If I ever have my Z in town again, supreme_style, I'll let you drive it. I swore off on 3.4's after my automatic prix, but after driving the Z I had to have it.

Also, my old '91 auto 3.4 Prix had an auxiliary oil cooler, I know because the lady that owned it before me hit a deer, ruined the cooler and the original engine. Was it more common in the GPs?

No. It was an option, you could still get it, and the AIR system. But they costed more, and weren't standard. It actually is really rare on any auto 3.4, but the AIR system on an auto is more rare.

It was added as a result of the 1/2 point in compression. An AIR system was also standard on the 96-97 motors, which had 9.7:1. It, uner certain cercumstances, injects clean, normal air into the exhaust manifolds at a low pressure. It isn't much, but it helps emissions. It consists of a pump and spider web of tubing in the front passenger fenderwell, 2 5/8" rubber lines running to each exhaust manifold, 2 small check valves, and the inlet tubes into the manifold. Here are a few pics:

Emissions3.jpg

Emissions4.jpg

Emissions.jpg

And the oil cooler is actually a pretty decent design. It fits betweent he filter and block. As the oil passes through and back to get filtered, enigne coolant runs around the oil in the unit. I'm not sure how much good it does, but I assume a lot becuz GM spent the time and trouble to put it there in the 1st place. They aren't too terribly expensive, but you need a lot of parts to go along with it.

you guys have some great info. As far as numbers produced I think it was less than 250 and may have been less than 200 total. I can attest to the fun to drive factor also. I have a 92 z34 5-spd with 14,800 miles on it and at about 3,000 rpm's it feels like a turbo kicks in up to about 6,000 rpm's then it goes alittle flat till you reach the 7,000 rpm red line.

$1200???

Drive one, then you'll be convinced the tranny alone is worht that much. The cars are a ton more fun to drive, and faster. Plus you get to hear this beast at 7,000rpm :twisted:

Perhaps.. I've never driven one, so I guess I can't honestly say. Sounds like they're fun, but, to me, a 195,000 mile Lumina, no matter WHAT form it is in, isn't worth $1,200. Again, just my opinion.

you guys have some great info. As far as numbers produced I think it was less than 250 and may have been less than 200 total. I can attest to the fun to drive factor also. I have a 92 z34 5-spd with 14,800 miles on it and at about 3,000 rpm's it feels like a turbo kicks in up to about 6,000 rpm's then it goes alittle flat till you reach the 7,000 rpm red line.

Mine is quite different. Power really doesn't come on until about 4,000-4500, but it does pull all the way to 7k.