Hey bad news

supreme_style21

Welp my new car is off to a GREAT start. Today, the oil was painfully low... so I filled 'er up and took it to work. I work at an automotive parts store and we have a shop attached, for those who don't know. Turns out the intake gaskets blew royally. No chance in hell of it driving out of the shop, so its dismantled right now, awaiting a new chance at life. Fuckin got jacked in the ass on this one.. I paid too much for the car to begin with... writing out a check for $500 tomorrow is gonna make the deal even sweeter. 1,200 miles is all I got on the thing so far... I'm not a happy camper. Just thought I'd share my insane frustration. Fuck the guys who sold me this.

for the record, $500 isn't THAT bad of a price for the gasket change.

No, its not. Thats one of those things you gotta do yourself.......$50 in parts and about 4 hours the first time

That sucks man, I'm doing the same thing to a Malibu at work as we speak. Make sure they put a new dist. drive o-ring in there while you're that close.

Yup made sure that was done.

for the record, $500 isn't THAT bad of a price for the gasket change.

No, its not. Thats one of those things you gotta do yourself.......$50 in parts and about 4 hours the first time

No the price really wasn't bad at all.. I just wasn't in the mood to write out a check of that amount. As far as fixing it myself.. not really possible right now. I'm away for college right now, so tearing things down in the parking lot in zero degree weather wasn't too appealing to me. I needed it done.. and done fast. Total bill was like $516.. they cut me a nice deal, so I surely won't complain. Got a new cam sensor and tensioner thrown in at the same time. All parts were at cost.

Damn that does suck. Sounds like we're in the same boat, but at least your car is salavagable. I'm breaking out the whiskey tonight.

:cheers:

Heh.. yeah they had it finished by mid-morning. Not a huge deal.

Damn I hope my gaskets hold on for me. I don't drive the piss out of it like it did my 88' (indescructable 2.8 :twisted: ) then again I only have to press the pedal down half as hard to get the same speed :lol:

I'm gonna make sure I change all the fluids and check that it isn't eating anything (non that I'm aware of yet) before taking it to the track next year.

yeah i suppose you were kinda stuck being away at school, glad to hear its back in business though. at least its off your todo list for a good long while

Well I was just suprised at how insanely fast it went. I checked the oil before I started it yesterday morning.. it was perfect. Drove to get a haircut.. got back in the car and got the Low Oil Light. I was like, huh.. so I checked it and it was BONE dry. Got a ride, filled 'er up, and barely made it across town. As soon as you poured a quart in, it sprayed it right back out all over the firewall.

But like ya said, I'm glad its done now.. while I had some spare cash. Don't have to worry about it.

oh hell, i can top this. Less then 200 miles on my old car and the head gaskets blew.

Sorry about that but it would be worst.

:lol: Yeah I'd be just a LITTLE furious then.

There was no symptoms with mine. It just an immediate "you're fucked" kind of situation. Nothing was leaking at any point in time. My parking spot is 110% clear of any fluids.

Yes its the 3100. IIRC, both were leaking. The rear was totally gone.. the front was just starting to spit.

There was no symptoms with mine. It just an immediate "you're fucked" kind of situation. Nothing was leaking at any point in time. My parking spot is 110% clear of any fluids.

Exactly. That's how it goes, and that's what scares the piss out of me.

The worst part is the many ways it can destruct. I've had them leak coolant internally, leak coolant externally, and leak oil. They're a horrible design.

I guess out of the three options, I got the best :wink: