steering wheel button fix

TheCutlassGuru

ive noticed several posts mentioning that the steering wheel buttons on early cutlass's dont work half the time and the ones on mine were no exception. Well it really started to piss me off the other day that they didnt work. the hvac buttons rarely worked on mine and the stereo buttons only worked when they wanted to and when they did work they only worked when the wheel was on center. so i took the center part of the wheel off and pried off all the buttons. i cleaned all the dust out from around the little rubber plunger things that the buttons press against. i noticed that the four contacts under the volume button were partially torn aorund the top of the boot and had slipped halfway inside the boot at an angle so they didnt fully press against the circuit board underneath. i carefully pulled back the contact pad and cleaned the tarnish off the circuit board and to fix the tears i just superglued the contact pads right to the knobs on the underside of the button. i didnt tear them all the way off the boots though. i also cleaned both sides of the wiring harness. i installed it back in my car and they work perfectly! all the buttons work, hvac and stereo, and they work at any wheel angle. keep in mind i only did this a couple days ago and i dont know if its a permanent fix, but they havent worked right in months and now they do so i thought id let you guys know it might work.