JPaganel

Do I keep plugging at the current Cutlass or do I look for one in better shape?  

1. 1. Do I keep plugging at the current Cutlass or do I look for one in better shape?

The weather got colder and once again my Cutlass is dead in the water. The electrical leak I have kills the battery overnight.

I started thinking about all the things that are wrong with my car. I need a new windshield(sand pitting + crack), new door hinges, new struts, new seats, new rear calipers, new steering rack and new exhaust. The clearcoat is peeling on doors and there are 3 major rust spots that need fixing. I also need to fix the electrical drain, the radiator leaks on and off despite being recently fixed.

Before all of you start calling for my head on a platter, I did not make the car that way. I bought it two years ago with all of the above problems except the exhaust , the electrical problem and the rip in the seat. I bought it because I loved the car, and still do.

I am at a sort of a crossroads here. Do I keep plugging away at this one or do I look for another Cutlass which would at least have a better body?

The engine in this one is very strong. It would be a shame to let it go to waste...

JPaganel,

Well, I've been in your situtation (and many people have as well) with my Beretta and my Cutlass. You've got to look at it from two angles: 1) take a look at what's needed on the vehicle. Tallie up the damage (cost of replacement), if it's lower than you might think, you keep the car for a good time being and fix it up. Or 2) you look at the total of how much you need to put in and if that over-wieghts for the amount of a new (used vehicle) when then it's your call.

Personally, I had to step down from my Beretta after crashing it and thinking I could save it and repair; fact is it would of cost double than what I bought it at... I know it's hard, but sometime you've got to move on or stay with it and only you know where can can go from here. If it's too much a burden, time to update your garage and apply your knowledge to a newer version perhaps. Sorry to hear that your in a bind with this... I was as well when it came time to change. :cry:

- RedFox340

My cutlass has 145000 miles on it, so i'm gonna need a new engine and probably transmission in the future, I need new rotors and calipers, my front seats are shot and the rear seat isn't much better....i had some dents and dings and scratches on it, and i just spent 2000 on a paintjob. So far i've put about 6g's in the car...so i'm keepin' it!

Same thing with me, i put a 3rd transmission, had it repainted it last year and had times that it cost me 1k to fix all broken things at same time but its still runs good on original engine (no work done to it) and has 193k miles and not thinking about getting rid of it only planning a 88 CS make it look like a 92+ outside.