Preparing intake manifold for paint?

90TGP

What's the best way for me to prepare [clean, tape off] my 3.1 manifold for painting? I already have 500 degree paint.

What do I use to clean the plenum with?

What parts should I tape off? [i know about the throttle body opening and the openings on the bottom that connect to the lower intake]

When I had painted mine, I pretty much had gone straight into primer. Mine didn't really come out the greatest, but I think it was mostly because of my shitty spraying skills (like overspraying in some areas so it ran a little, etc.) I had completely degreased it and sanded down the top surface pretty good months before, and it wasn't really dirty at all when I did it. I might've wiped it down quick with a wet paper towel or sponge or something first.

I would degrease the hell out of it, let it sit for a few mins, spray is off, break out a soapy sponge and go over the whole thing. I was gonna say sand it next, but I might actually do that before sponging it.. hell I wet sanded mine anyway so you can do each whenever. While it's off, spray a good amount of degreaser into any and all ports and let it sit for a while. May even want to take some decent sized pipe cleaners and scrub what you can.

When I did mine, I just masked off every single port and gasket surface. On gasketed surfaces make sure you mask WELL, leave some tape overhanging on the edges to make sure none gets on the actual surface area. I would spray down no more than 2 layers of primer. When I did mine I was short on time and I think I only did one coat of primer and one coat of paint, and it doesn't look THAT bad... (see page 5 I believe in my cardomain link on my "www" button for pics). Then maybe a max of 3 paint layers, and if you're going crazy you may wet sand it with 1000 grit or something.

Make sure you change intake, tb, EGR (might as well) gaskets and PCV valve while it's off.

I know Davis will come in here with like 4 pages or how he did like 8 to 11 hours of prep work for it :lol: just to give you a warning :wink: