1991 Olds Convertible Restoration

91CuttyConv

Hi all, just wanted to get your oppinions on something. This spring I plan on having my Cutlass completly repainted, including removing all components before painting. I also plan on having a new windshield installed after having the black trim around the windshield repainted. A new hood, due to a kink in mine, will also be included. Now for the oppinion part I had mentioned. The price I got for all this is $5,600. I was wondering what all of you thought of this price. In the end I will probally get it down more by removing and reinstalling most of the components myself. Thanks for your interest.

Jason

If you are willing to make a drive and leave the car for a little while. I think I can get you a show quality paint for close if not lower than half that price. The drive is to Ft Wayne, IN. The guy in question has had several cars win at shows. I am not talking import, I am talking All wheel drive 37 chevy pickups, camaros, 32 all steel high boys ect. Just let me know and I will put you in contact. He is painting my truck in the spring and my convertible in the fall.

Being in NW Indiana, that drive is not all that bad for me. If he does good work for lower than $5600, I am very interested. My main concern more than anything else is a good quality paint job, I want it to look like it did when it rolled off the line in 91, if not better:) So, anyway, yes I am very interested. Thanks for the interest!

Jason

He does show winning quality work. It will look better then it did when it rolled off the assembly line. You want everything dismanteled and painted right? Is there any rust, body damage ect..? Get me the specifics and I will pass it along to him and a quote back to you.

Sounds good! In answer to your questions, yes I want the car taken apart and painted, however if this send the price through the roof I can always take apart most things and trailer it on out there. There are no visible signs of rust anywhere on the car but it does need some minor body work. The hood is completly shot but I may be getting a new one soon. The trunk lid has 2 deep scratches and may be slightly bent, not sure. The body is in overall good shape but there are quite a few little dings. The only major dent to speak of is directly behind the rear passenger side wheel well. By the way, all this damage was there when I bought the car, so rest assured i don't beat my baby ;) The price was really good and it only has 59,000 miles, I could not pass up the chance of bringing her back to her former glory. Again, thanks for all the help on the matter, it is very much appreciated!

Jason

All it needs is outside. I bought it from an 80yr old man that lived in Chicago. He stored it winters, which helped, but the body still took a beating in Chicago. The interior is actually pretty damn good. It was filthy when I bought it but after hours and then days and soo weeks of cleaning the interior is pretty good. I fixed the dash peeling and am currently working on fixing the horn pad. The only interior things I may invest in in the future would be new carpeting, its better than expected from a 91 but still shows some minor wear. Leather is perfect and nothing is missing. Under the hood also looks brand new. So basicly after some paint and body work and a few odds and ends she'll look better than new. The paint was my planned biggest investment, like I mentioned before the car had low miles and was a great price, so i couldn't pass it up. I will certainly have to get some pics of it up here. Thanks for all the interest.

Jason