What to look for in a used W?

Carotop

Ok I'm lookin at a 93 Grand Prix SE 2dr. Its got a 3.4, 119k. Has some paint has chipped off and thats about the only thing I found wrong with the exterior. The interior was very clean. There was a little sound when you first started the engine but once you drove it, it went away. Is there anything else I need to look at. It'll be a trade for my Regal or I'll just straight sell the Regal. What do ya'll think?

take a look at the rear suspension spring. There should be rubber caps (kinda like pockets) on it. If they look worn off, you are looking at a $450 investment. Also, look at the underbody in general. If it has a lot of rust on it, it isn't worth the trouble. Earlier W-body cars rust pretty well, especially in zones with lots of salt on the road during the winter.

hope this helps.

Good luck

Ok I'm lookin at a 93 Grand Prix SE 2dr. Its got a 3.4, 119k. Has some paint has chipped off and thats about the only thing I found wrong with the exterior. The interior was very clean. There was a little sound when you first started the engine but once you drove it, it went away. Is there anything else I need to look at. It'll be a trade for my Regal or I'll just straight sell the Regal. What do ya'll think?

Hows the 3.4 look? Do you want to take on that challenge since its a load to handle or are you mechanically inclined to do your own maintenance?

I guess I can handle it. I have enough references I can use. It just seems a little tight in there.

If you do have to take it into the garage remember how inflated the repair costs are going to be. Ask questions about the maintenance of the timing belt, alternator and so forth!

Yea I'm pretty sure he said there was a new timing belt. I think I'm gonna go back tommorrow if I can convince my pops to get it. Anything else I really need to look at? O yea and what would that noice be when you first start the car, sounds like something with the exhaust?

take an 8mm socket and ratchet with you and see if he will let you pull the timeing belt inspection cover, if it has lots of black hairs around it its probably near the end of its life, mine looked brand new when i bought the car, as the owner said it was changed recently.

take a look at the rear suspension spring. There should be rubber caps (kinda like pockets) on it. If they look worn off, you are looking at a $450 investment.

Only if the spring has cracked.. Otherwise it is a $20 aftermarket part.. 10 minutes of time.

actually,

the aftermarket fix always comes off. The original spring has the rubber welded onto it. Usually, if the original oil struts leak, they eat away that rubber. The car starts making sounds of an old bed on every bump.

When I had original suspension on my car, I have gone through so much just to get rid of the annoying sound. Finally, I replaced the entire spring.

And guess what, 6 months later, I threw out the entire rear suspension replacing it with the fresh and nicely painted 2001 Regal grand touring suspension. No more stupid spring :!:

Which aftermarket have you looked at? I got a FederalMogal part.. some poly-somethinorother. I had it in my old car for a year or two and it never let go. It was grooved, so the edge of the leaf sat inside of it.. worked out great.

I don't remember. That was back in 2000

I guess it wasn't my luck. Funny part is. I originally have gone through 4 right rear calipers. They would all fail after a while. I know that's one of the things that early W-bodies are known for - weak rear calipers.

I am definetely happy I don't have'em any more. :D

I'd rather have a 93 over a 94-96, but that's just MHO. I like the interiors so much more, more comfortable seats, paperclip code scanning, and I like the square B4U damnit.

:withstupid: x 535493452395929359259 times

but then again we're freaks cause we actually like lightbars and STE tails

I'd rather have a 93 over a 94-96, but that's just MHO. I like the interiors so much more, more comfortable seats, paperclip code scanning, and I like the square B4U damnit.

ditto :cry:

ditto :cry:

i'll side with you guys there, the pre 94 GP interiors had so much more personality so much more options, so much more comfortable, at least my lumina seats are very comfortable.

Which aftermarket have you looked at? I got a FederalMogal part.. some poly-somethinorother. I had it in my old car for a year or two and it never let go. It was grooved, so the edge of the leaf sat inside of it.. worked out great.

Me too..... I replaced mine, and used some epoxy after you clean up the surface. Mine are still in there.

Me too..... I replaced mine, and used some epoxy after you clean up the surface. Mine are still in there.

the seats in my grandma's '88 Cutty International Coupe are better than in my '94. However, that may be because they are buckets, and she has the multi-point adjustable power seats too. I have the bench in my car. :( It's only been useful once when I was able to cram 6 people legally in my car with that extra seatbelt. :wink: