Running no cat, mufflers on a 1993 cutlass

FreakingGomer

I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of running no ca no mufflers would be, I live where my car does not have to be deq'ed so emmissions is not a worry, I have the 3.1 and already have a factory dual exhaust so I would just run pipe from the manifold out, also does anyone run side pipes on these cars? I have some money sitting around, a friend that works at a muffler shop so he can bend me pipe and weld it in for me, I was mainly wondering if there is any advantage to it other than saving me the money of buying a new cat since mine should prolly be replaced.

put something in place of the cat, like a turbo tube or glasspack to have a little bit of back pressure. You'll notice the gain in mid-range tq. If you go no cat at all, yuo wont hardly notice any low end gain

so if I just put a pipe in place of the cat, but left the rest of the exhaust would there be any advantage? over stock? I mean, its the 3.1 so its never going to be blindingly fast, so performance gains are cool, I just don't want the cons to overweigh the pros

so if I just put a pipe in place of the cat, but left the rest of the exhaust would there be any advantage? over stock? I mean, its the 3.1 so its never going to be blindingly fast, so performance gains are cool, I just don't want the cons to overweigh the pros

Yeah, you'll get some top end out of it. I dont how much you are going to pay, but at the local muffler shop I go to, cutting a cat out and putting in a straight pipe or glass pack or something is like $30-40. Again though, I recommend a glasspack or turbo tube in place of the cat, plus the mufflers. No cat and just mufflers on an n/a is really raspy around 2K

ok thanks for the info, I am going to have to give my buddy a call and see how much I can get a glasspack for and then have him weld it all up

that whole no cat and no mufflers sounds like a bad idea so i am not going to do that, anyone on here run with no cat?

You guys are idiots.

Replacing a factory cat with a high flow unit (or straight pipe) (a high flow is the same as a straight pipe....cost is the only advantage) should pry have about 1-2 hp in itself....thats it.

You won't loose any low end powa'....think about it......you still have the same weak ass manifolds....and the same weak ass not true dual exhaust.

And yes, 660s do sound like ass with straight pipes.

You guys are idiots.

Replacing a factory cat with a high flow unit (or straight pipe) (a high flow is the same as a straight pipe....cost is the only advantage) should pry have about 1-2 hp in itself....thats it.

You won't loose any low end powa'....think about it......you still have the same weak ass manifolds....and the same weak ass not true dual exhaust.

And yes, 660s do sound like ass with straight pipes.

First of all, no one said any actual numbers, just going by butt dyno. Secondly, when I say low end, I dont mean HP, I mean Tq.

First of all, no one said any actual numbers, just going by butt dyno.

I never said anyone did mention numbers........however, I did. You should pry get your butt dyno recalibrated......because when I did my exhaust I assumed a 4-5 hp gain, but DynoJet revealed around a 6-7 gain.

Secondly, when I say low end, I dont mean HP, I mean Tq.

When I said low end power, I meant both. Which ever way you might be thinking......you won't loose it. Show me a dyno chart that says otherwise (and it better not have any weird torque converter issues as they often do).

the reason I ask is because my cat is clogged, so I am going to have to replace it, and I was curious ir there was any benefit to not putting a new one on, just leaving it off.

thanks for the info.

the reason I ask is because my cat is clogged, so I am going to have to replace it, and I was curious ir there was any benefit to not putting a new one on, just leaving it off.

thanks for the info.

well if its currently clogged you'l feel an increase in whatever decision you make. Goodluck

my 2.8 sounded like ASS when the muffler pipe disconnected.... whatever you do KEEP the mufflers!

I agree with you there, the whole top of our catty rusted out, lost some hp and torque, and sounded like a fat dude farting..... :D keep some back-pressure and keep the mufflers.