Another W-body bites the dust...

Green96GTPchick

On december 13, I was coming home for lunch, from work, when a guy making a left turn at an intersection, jsut turned in front of me. He didn't look, didn't try to stop. I didn't realize he wasn't going to stop, so I kept going, well he ended up clipping my right front bumper, demolishing it, pushed back the right fender, and pushed up that corner of the hood.

Picutres can be seen here:

488514_38.jpg

488514_37.jpg

488514_35.jpg

488514_39.jpg

My insurance comapny came and looked at it, and he adjuster called me friday morning and talked to my father. They are totalling it. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

that sucks, talk with the adjuster and see if you can mabie use an aftermarket hood and fender or a junkyard hood and fender instead of brand new parts, see what they can do to keep the repair cost down, that looks very easily fixable

i hate it when this sorta stuff hapiens.

Guest BeausoleilRacing

The core support is damaged. There is easily $4500 in damage there. Maybe more. Sorry bout what happened, it doesn't sound as though it's your fault. When are people going to realize they are not the only one on the road, they are so bloody consumed with themselves that they don't give a rats ass about others. Welcome to our society as it is today...

my core support got abliderated, cost me $30 to replace :P

in all reality it doesan't look that bad i'd say a new hood, fender, bumper cover, header pannel, a headlight and depending on how it was hit a core support, i'd take that in a second and fix it. in fact i WISH that was the only damage i had.

Didn't you have to fix the GP once before?? This really sucks that there totalling it though...

Yes, my hood and front bumper are only a year old. My tires i put on in july, and i jsut put a new cat on it around thanksgiving. Which pisses me off.

Yes it has the DIC but i dont think i will be able to buy it back. tha father cant wait to get rid of it, even though he let my bros car sit in our driveway for almost a year before he could drive, then almst 2 years when he moved out.

insurance companys determine if the vehicle will be totaled. if the damage of accident is greater than 70-80% insuracne will total it out. if there is $4,000 worth of damage on a $5,000 car, they will total it out. there is always hidden damage that you dont get in the first estimate. it is very easy to ring up a big bill at a bodyshop, becasue it is expensive to fix a car now days. cars are made to crush so they take the impact instead of you. thats a good thing, becasue a car is always replacable, but a person is not. we had a GP that i hit a deer with and did $6800 worth of damage. the car was banged up, but was still drivable (drove it about 400 miles after the accident) and there was no frame damage or anything. jsut he labor and parts ad up.

glad to hear your ok though! i hate car accidents, you can read about my battle with my other car in the link in my sig. goodluck with the insurance! and if you dont think they are giving you a resonable price for the car, remember, that price IS nagotiable. :wink:

Yes it has the DIC but i dont think i will be able to buy it back. tha father cant wait to get rid of it, even though he let my bros car sit in our driveway for almost a year before he could drive, then almst 2 years when he moved out.

even if you don't buy it back, please see if you can get in it one last time :D.... the dic is a 2 minute pull...just take off the trim, undo a couple screws and snip a few inches of wire with the harness....a DIC truely from a '96 is hard to find and I would really like one. :D :D :D

That looks just like my car, but with less damage. I know the feeling. This is the second time around to be fixed. If you know anyone at a Tech School see if the instructor will let a student make it a couple day project and fix it. It has only cost me $750 with junkyard parts and paint. They don't charge labor. Be glad your car has a 4.5 star safety rating.

My car is still sitting in my driveway. I drove it home from the accident, and parked it. I will try to get the DIC out, but I ahvea lot going on right now. My mom may be shipped to Boston, adn may or may not come home, and I am dealing with the whole totalling of my car issue. Plus work is still busy as all hell. My insurance co is onyl giving me 2835 for my car. I think its too low, but I don't know if its worth arguing over. I won't be able to buy it back, since I don't own it. Should I argue for 3g or a bit more or just take that figure and run? Its better than nothing right? I do still need to take my radio out, so when I pull the dash, I will see bout pulling the DIC. I forget who called it first, but you will get first dibs on it.

I do still need to take my radio out, so when I pull the dash, I will see bout pulling the DIC. I forget who called it first, but you will get first dibs on it.

the DIC is a simple pull, especially if you are going to have to pull the radio......if you could snip the harness w/a couple of inches of wiring you would be my hero....

thanks a million

My car is still sitting in my driveway. I drove it home from the accident, and parked it. I will try to get the DIC out, but I ahvea lot going on right now. My mom may be shipped to Boston, adn may or may not come home, and I am dealing with the whole totalling of my car issue. Plus work is still busy as all hell. My insurance co is onyl giving me 2835 for my car. I think its too low, but I don't know if its worth arguing over. I won't be able to buy it back, since I don't own it. Should I argue for 3g or a bit more or just take that figure and run? Its better than nothing right? I do still need to take my radio out, so when I pull the dash, I will see bout pulling the DIC. I forget who called it first, but you will get first dibs on it.

well, to put it into perspective, we had a 96 GP 4-dppr with 127,000 miles on it when i hit a deer. it did like $6800 in damage. it had the 3100 motor, and was fully loaded except for leather and cd player. but it had steerign wheel controls, HUD, ect ect. this was a year ago at thanksgiving. i belive my parents (their car, they had mine) ended up getting between 4500-5000 for it. they argued it. what my dad did was printed off a bunch of ads from autotrader, newspaper, and dealer ads to SHOW what the car was selling for in the area, and how much he would need to replace it with a similar car. they came up in price too and settled on that amount. check http://www.kbb.com and http://www.nada.com (think thats the page) to find out the bluebook value of the car. to me (depending on milage) that offer seems low. remember, they are similar to a dealership in a way, wanted to get the best deal for them as well. good luck with it!

well, to put it into perspective, we had a 96 GP 4-dppr with 127,000 miles on it when i hit a deer. it did like $6800 in damage. it had the 3100 motor, and was fully loaded except for leather and cd player. but it had steerign wheel controls, HUD, ect ect. this was a year ago at thanksgiving. i belive my parents (their car, they had mine) ended up getting between 4500-5000 for it. they argued it. what my dad did was printed off a bunch of ads from autotrader, newspaper, and dealer ads to SHOW what the car was selling for in the area, and how much he would need to replace it with a similar car. they came up in price too and settled on that amount. check http://www.kbb.com and http://www.nada.com (think thats the page) to find out the bluebook value of the car. to me (depending on milage) that offer seems low. remember, they are similar to a dealership in a way, wanted to get the best deal for them as well. good luck with it!

that is very good advice! I would definately investigate that to see if you can get more.

sorry jeremy no can do on the DIC. I dont know how to get it out. I also dont know if hte insurance adjuster knwos it was in there or not. The cars being picked up on monday. I am taking hte floor mats out of it, prob my cone air filter and i think that was all im keeping out of it.