Heater died

rshissler

Welp here we go again. Drivin down the high way last um i say tuesday i was messin around and i move the switch from hot to cold for about 2 mins then back to hot again. after that the heat hasn't worked. just keeps blowin cold air. so i took the control out thinkin maybe the slider broke and its all fine inside. i drove from my girls house to home witch is about 9 miles it only defrosted about an inch of the winder and still was blowing cold air. so anyone know whats whats wrong?

Could be the actuator that moves the "door" that directs the airflow over the heater core or evaporator.

How is the temp gauge reading whilst you experience the cold air. If it's up near the "overheating" zone, then your thermostat is stuck closed. You could also have a low coolant level, or air in the system...

Wish i knew how hot the engine is cuz i have the basic digital dash and there is not temp on it. It did seem to be runnin a big hot just from the feel of it. like i'd come home from skool and check something under the hood then go inside for maybe half and hour to an hour and come back out and it would still be as hot. i know the coolent hasn't been changed in a very long time jsut by the way it looks and smells. u can see it bubblin out of the overflow hose after runin th car for about 15 mins of drivin over 55.

Looks like it's overheating. It shouldn't have any bubbling from the overflow unless it's too hot. Probably low coolant causing heater problem. Why it's low is another question. Leaks? Thermostat? Head gasket? Intake gasket? Etc. There are many possibilities. :?: :shock:

Up Date:

I changed my thermastat and my anti-freeze. The engine runs a bit better since its not over heatin now but still not any hot air. the hoses runnin from the engine into the firewall for the heater core are hot but from there on there must be a problem. I can also smell anti-freeze comin through the vents when i turn it to cold then to hot again. Does this help any?

If you can smell anti freeze inside the car, then it's a pretty safe bet that your heater core has popped. Do you notice any unusual fogging on the windshield, or is your front carpet soaked? Those are some obvious signs of heater core failure.

I did notice on the way home tonight that when it started to rain hard the window foged up really quick. I also notice that on the floor right in front of the passgers seat closest to the door there was a wet spot about 2 inches wide. ill check for more spots tomorrow after skool.

update!!! i need an answer ASAP if u know it...

I checked my heater core and the thing gets so hot it almost burns u but the fuckin vents are blowin ice cold air is there anything i am missing here like a flap with a motor i heard about somewhere????

Yep, you heard right. There's a "flap" that diverts the air either over the heater core (hot) or the AC evaporator (cold.) You might have a bad actuator motor or the hot/cold selector on the control unit may be bad...

Well the "flap" is on the inside of the airbox so you won't be able to see it unless you hack the airbox apart. What you need to look for is the actuator motor that connects to the "axle" of the "flap." Now I have no earthly idea where the "flap" is located exactly, but you're probably going to have to gut your dash to find it. Start simple by removing the glovebox and the under-dash panels and go from there.

This might or might not help you, but I remember when I had my 92 LeSabre's dash apart, I could see the actuators on top of the airbox when I had the glovebox removed. Whether or not the early W-Bodies were the same, I haven't a clue. Just thought it might be of some help...

i went to an A&A auto parts and asked them about it and said about a "flap" and the guy told me it might be the flap thats behind the blower fan and that it got stuck on his z34 once and that fixed it. dont got time tomorrow to work on it but sunday im gonna rip that apart and take a look.