GRANDPA OR PUNK??

Guest RedCutlassSL

The Cutlass sedan is the best looking w-body. In general, I think w-body sedans look better than their coupe counterparts. The best looking w-body coupe is the Regal, all the rest have the rear glass/trunk transition goofed up.

I have the opposite taste of you, I think the W-body coupes are the only ones that look good. I like 4drs, there was even a time when I preferred 4dr cars, but I don't like any of the 4dr W-bodies. They changed them all in ways I think makes them look not nearly as smooth, sleek, and aerodynamic as their coupe counterparts. The rooflines look higher, the backglass is more formal (less rake)... just not as good looking to me. In fact I think the Cutlass sedan is one of the least good looking, the rear end is almost square and completely flat and the taillights don't wraparound to the sides. Looks very old fashioned to me. I think the Regal sedan has the least appealing front end, the lack of corner lights really makes it look weird.

As for the Regal coupe, I liked them okay, but I don't care for the grille how it sticks out more at the top and is more pushed in at the bottom. I don't like how they did the rear window either. From the side profile it looks good, because the rear window looks like it might be raked similar to the Cutlass and GP coupes, but I don't like the formal "C" pillar which has much less slant than the CS and GP. This makes it so from the front 3/4 view, the rear window appears to have very little slant, kind of like the 90's Mercury Cougar. Not a good look, IMO.

The rear profile of the GP looks like an oversized 80-s Mustang notch and I can't quite put my finger on it, but the Cutlass coupe just looks somehow wrong there. If they gave the coupe the same rear glass as the sedan, it would've been great. Oh, and Montes are OK too, because they are short Luminas. Luminas are pretty, except for those square wheelwells. Whose dumb idea was that? Let's see. We have wheels, wheels are round, so the openings where they go should be what?

I don't see it! I don't think a GP looks like an 80's Mustang in the least.

The Cutlass rear window with wraparound glass hiding the C-pilar are what I think looks the best and sleekest about the car. I came from an '86 Mercury Sable and I liked this look on the Sable, so I was happy to have the same look on the Cutlass coupe. The Cutlass Sedan has that sorta concave rear backglass and although it does wraparound, the concaveness makes it more formal looking (less raked) and I don't think that looks good at all. I think it would have looked much better had they just took the Cutlass coupe, shortened the front doors, and carved 2 more doors in the rear. Not to mention the Cutlass sedan fenders are flatter and don't have the graceful curves of the coupe.

I agree with you on Luminas, I don't like the square wheel wells, although I suppose the square wheel wells might look ok on a car that was lowered and tucking tire.

As far as moldings go, I think wider, but lower profile ones with rounded ends would look nice on a CS. The OE ones have square ends and that looks silly on the car with rounded curves all over.

Moldings are gaudy and ugly any way you make 'em! :)

Oh well, like I said, looks like I have opposite taste!

My wife says if I want to do something to my car and be happy with it, I should ask what everyone else thinks I should do, and then do the opposite of the majority!

Most of the people that comment me on my car saythat it shouldn't have never looked as good as it does now because they think that it was intended to be an older person grocery getter type of car, but they can't believe....in my opinion it is a bigger car, and i like it alot more than the civics, saturns, del sols, and neons that my friends have. You don't see that many Cutlass Supremes customized, and thats why i decided to put a lot of money into my car. :D

There all great looking cars. But I believe the Cutlass is a little more special in the styling. I have been tempted by all three but wound up with a Regal.

Just a few points I wanted to make. I've heard of this Oldsmobile sterio typed as a old peoples car today but I grew up in a different era and remember the 1 rarely seen much feared 442. It was rarer than a GTO it was the elusive car we all spotted and would drive out of our way to get a closer look. The sterio type came from ignorance and tying the name in as a meaning, Now that I've learned more about cars and their history I have found out that Olds has always had a reputation for high performance. Apparently back in the 50's they had a engine that had a edge up on the others then as well. Through out the V8 era they had the highest specs per cubic inch of any of their competition and not only that used less gas to get there. High quality castings , lots of goodies. The 88 ,98 and Toronado coupes were bought by professional business men, doctors, lawyers and such that wanted a classy well optioned car that had some kick and personality without the gaudiness of Cadillac or Imperial. Same with Buicks. Times changed and so have cars but back when Domestics dominated the highways buying a Buick or Oldsmobile meant you had a little more money and better taste not how old you were.

The Cierra 2dr. GT of 86-87 I really like.

The Lumina's square wheel wells - Chevy always used some square wheel wells.Best example Camaro/Firebird : Camaro - square / Firebird- round. I believe the same for Chevelle/Cutlass Would also like to point out that the Lumina was a direct silhouette of the 2dr. H body that Buick and Olds released in 1986 and ran through 91. If they didnt square the wheel wells and round the nose more you'd of thought it was the same car visually. The Caddy STS also inherited some of the 2dr.Hbodys profile.

Let the ignorant say what they want. Carry a cane in your car and shake it out the window everytime you kick some butt ! :lol:

My grandma drives a 1996 grand prix and my car was owned by a grandma so I guess they are grandma car's. Any w-body owner under 60 better put a for sale sign on there car :wink: just joking

I think they are just good overall cars and they are made in a variety of colors and shapes so people of all ages find somthing good about them. My personal favorite would be a 94'-96' black Grand Prix coupe with factory ground fx and a fully loaded black international series leather interior :D