GRANDPA OR PUNK??

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

I was just curious, and do u guys consider the Cutlass Supreme to be a grandpa or grandma car? Personally, I think they are very youthful, and in many ways better looking than its Gran Prix counterpart. Thanks for your humble opinion.

Now the Cutlass Ciera, that's a granpa ride, esp in station wagon mode. BTW my 91 yr old granpa drives one. But a Cutlass Supreme is a different story, if you have the whitewall tires facing out then yes granpa/ma ride, if not you should be ok. Not any worse off than being in my Lumina (white walls IN).

If I saw a retired Ma or Pa in a Cutlass I'd say right on !! One of my closests friends mothers always had Camaros. Anothers mother has a Camaro RS and his father has Miata they are retired now. Another friends father has a Seville STS. What determines this Grandma Grandpa car that you younger guys are hung up on. I see hundreds of old folks driving everything from Hondas, Toyotas , Corvettes , classic chassis , Cadillacs & you name it. In fact I'd say I've seen some damn good taste in autos from our seniors. I've also seen some damn poor taste from children of all ages. :lol: The best current example is anyone that buys anything of them newHundias. I'd be a little alarmed if I saw a senior in a Riced out w/wing Honda. I think I want to pull them to the side and show them a W or H body GM . I drove little cars and trucks for years and I'll never go back to cramming myself into one of those things again. Nothing cracks me up more than 5 punks packed into a Civic. must be what our parents thought when we all packed into the back of a Camaro. If you've never been back there its like a dungeon. Hudini hinself - chained could not have excaped from the back of a Camaro :lol:

Screw pier pressure , drive what you like. 8)

Well, I do think in general the Cutlass Supreme is a car for more mature audiences which is what I like about it. It's too big to be a kiddie mobile. When I first got it, I was a kid, and wanting to be different, I didn't want a kiddie mobile like most other kids had. In fact, I wouldn't have minded had it been a real grandpa car. I was thinking when I DO become grandpa age, that's when I'll get me a kiddie car. Always gotta be different. :)

They're too sporty looking for senior citizens though. Seniors are supposed to drive cars like Crown Vics.

Anyway, I do prefer the looks of the Cutlass Supreme over the rest, especially the 88-91. They are the curviest 1st gen W-bodies and also the cleanest looking. I want clean my 89 up further by shaving the ribs off the cladding. As for the 92-97 Cutty's with ribs vs. the Grand Prix, I'd say they're a toss up. I like them both equally as well. I prefer the interiors of the Cutlass Supreme because they have more toys like the auto climate control and the DIC. GP's have a DIC too, but it's not as useful as the Cutlass DIC.

I think it takes a certain additude to drive these cars. sure its easy when you want speed to buy a camero or god forbide mustang(jk). but it takes a different type of person to break the mold. Most cars can be cool in the right hands its just a matter of what your willing to do, and with w-bodies it doesn't take that much!! :D

Hey if a Grandpa drove this he would be cool as hell :D

P.s. I'm most definetly a punk :twisted:

:lol:

Nice Cutlass! :rocking:

My wife saw that big pic of yours when she looked over at my computer screen and said, "ooooh NICE car!" :lol:

One thing might make it look better, lose the door ding moldings on the sides!

Toastem thats a nice ride man. I have a 94'GTP and I like its looks but everytime I see a 94 or a 95 2-door cutlass I wonder if I made the right choice. The angles of the car are sharper and the overall look is much cleaner especially the rear end.

why so the grocery carts get a running start. my statigy is park next to nice cars closer to passenger side of two cars. most cars only have a driver and that works good. the car only has one door ding and it was their when I bought the car I have owned it about a year and a half and put on about 18 thousand on it. so it seems to work, their just in case and they don't look bad compared to the early cutty's with the rolled over hood/grill

I dont think I see many old people driving Cutlass supremes of the W-bodies, most arround her are in Regals or new Grand Prix if anything.

A friend of mine considers my Cutlass to be a "granny" car, mainly because it happens to be a Sedan. While yes, it does not look as sporty as a Coupe, it still has a lot more attitude than her ride, a 96-97 Taurus. On the other hand, Debs thinks CS's are one of the more Sportier W-bodies, just like the early 2 door luminas (only with a spoiler). My mom also considers the 4-door cutlass to be rather sporty.

Did see something weird though, the old interior in a newer style CS sedan. I am so used to seeing mine, and in such a newer looking car, it was weird seeing something that looked like it was in my 88 Cutlass Ciera

Jon

Pros:

- total sleeper

- awesome gadgets that a Z34 will dream of

- great package for any age

- "that thing is quick?" appearance

Cons:

- laughed at around school / an Olds?

- "that thing is quick?" appearance

- seems like all the GP's and Z34's get all the performance parts

Verdict:

- who doesn' like to see their opponents mouth drop when you spank them with no body kits and all power! :shock:

- RedFox340

I love the looks of the Cutlass Supreme. It's got a nice, clean, straight-forward look to it with just enough attitude. I always say it's sophisticatedly sporty, if that makes sense to anyone.

The Cutlass sedan is the best looking w-body. In general, I think w-body sedans look better than their coupe counterparts. The best looking w-body coupe is the Regal, all the rest have the rear glass/trunk transition goofed up.

The rear profile of the GP looks like an oversized 80-s Mustang notch and I can't quite put my finger on it, but the Cutlass coupe just looks somehow wrong there. If they gave the coupe the same rear glass as the sedan, it would've been great. Oh, and Montes are OK too, because they are short Luminas. Luminas are pretty, except for those square wheelwells. Whose dumb idea was that? Let's see. We have wheels, wheels are round, so the openings where they go should be what?

As far as moldings go, I think wider, but lower profile ones with rounded ends would look nice on a CS. The OE ones have square ends and that looks silly on the car with rounded curves all over.

Redfox340 said it perfectly like i said it takes a certain attitude to drive these (to take the shit from the guys at school) but like kodak when your

opponents mouth drop when you spank them with no body kits and all power!
is priceless!!

sibackw.jpg?dc=4675404080557704588

Crazy I have the complete opposite view on that. I love the luminas gps and cs coupes but don't like most of them in sedans and for the montes the rear quarter is the size of a cow, the lumina second gen is too bubbly

i dont know why people automatically assume that Oldsmobile is for old people only. A lot of my friends make fun of those car and even their friends even without seeing it they already think of a Cutlass CIera or they call it a Buick (no offense Buick owners). I dont see anything wrong with those cars but just a lot of people like picking at them.

The Cutlass Supreme has a very clean look to it, no I don't think it is a Grandpa ride. Like Toastemcutlass said, a grandpa would be cool as hell driving that car (Bad ass car toastemcutlass). And the sleeper potential of the cars is unbelievable. "An Olds........yeah I can take you" and then the Cutlass takes off. I love these W-bodies b/c they are sleepers. I love fucking with the kids in town that have the 150HP v6 mustangs, and the guys with 2.8 camaros. But, someday my GP will be stock looking car but be able to beat newer v6 stangs and camaros. I love the looks I get when I want to race someone. They look at me and roll their eyes, and then I keep up with them, totally awesome.

every one liked the olds/hurst and when the creater came up with it he called it "the executives hotrod" yet kids bought them the w-bodys are great because you don't have to give up options and confort just to go fast

I definately don't consider the CS to be a grandpa car, even mine with the bench seats. I occasionally see older people driving them, but usually people in thier 20s-40s, especially in the two doors. Some of the four-doors have older drivers, but I still think they are sporty looking cars, and the best looking w-body four-door. I like the red ones.

Had a co-worker tell me I bought an old people car sight unseen when I first told him I got a Cutlass. One of my buddies that had a '90 International sedan was like "no way man, maybe other Oldsmobiles, but not the Cutlass Supreme"

yeah. I know what you mean. I think that Oldsmobile has been stereotyped as a ond peoples car. I know that a lot of the kids in my automotive class were making fun of me when we were asked what we drive, but after they saw it, they liked it.

why so the grocery carts get a running start. my statigy is park next to nice cars closer to passenger side of two cars. most cars only have a driver and that works good. the car only has one door ding and it was their when I bought the car I have owned it about a year and a half and put on about 18 thousand on it. so it seems to work, their just in case and they don't look bad compared to the early cutty's with the rolled over hood/grill

If there are any grocery carts nearby, you're still parking too close. :read:

My door ding guards haven't done a shit's worth of good to protect the car. :( Everyone has minivans, SUV's, and trucks these days, and they all ding the car up higher where the door ding guards don't help. I'm gonna lose my moldings once the weather gets warm enough that they'll come off easier.

I've been parking way, WAY out where possible and haven't had a door ding since, not even on my '94 convertible with no moldings. That car looks so smooth it's really encouraged me to pull the moldings off my '89.

94cropped.jpg