Auto-dimming HUD

Guest Anonymous

The '95 should only dim when the headlights are on, if thats what you're saying. Both systems should dim in low light only when the headlights are turned on... otherwise they should be at full brightness.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys... I WAS going to take the car in today to get the engine fixed. The battery was totally dead, so i got a new one, and took everything apart. Well, the bolt that holds the old battery onto the car is so far down, none of my tools will reach, so im at a stand still. I dont want the shop to have to take care of the battery, becuase they'll charge me like $200 just to do that. And I've got so many repairs to do...

Has anyone replaced the battery.... how'd you do it?

just use a really long extention, i think i have used one thats about a foot longor you could try removeing the airbox that might give you extra room

Take off the "brace," the washer tank, and the airbox and you should be able to reach the hold-down bolt no problem. You might need to unbolt the fusebox to swing it out of the way so you can get the washer tank out cause it tucks under the fusebox...

Guest Anonymous

I did all that... its down to the battery and the airbox. I was hoping to get the battery out without dismantling the fusebox, but I guess not.

The project is on hold becuase of snow, but Im hoping it will warm up tomorrow and I can have it done and the car flatbedded out by the afternoon.

Guest Anonymous

I unbolted the fuse box but left it attached... I just swung it out of the way. I'll see how bad it is with the airbox (or whats left of it) and if its worth taking out, which it probably is.

Now the old battery in there (not original) is a #75 battery, and the computer says the 3.4 takes a 78. Would there be any difference? may that have had something to do with previous starting problems on an additionally dying battery?

I unbolted the fuse box but left it attached... I just swung it out of the way. I'll see how bad it is with the airbox (or whats left of it) and if its worth taking out, which it probably is.

Now the old battery in there (not original) is a #75 battery, and the computer says the 3.4 takes a 78. Would there be any difference? may that have had something to do with previous starting problems on an additionally dying battery?

Thats just group size.. it makes no difference. If it fits, great. Besides size, the only thing to really be concerned about is Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) and Cranking Amps (CA). Higher is always better.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I wasted FOUR HOURS in the 22 degree cold today trying to get the battery out.... and, its still in there. One of the bolts on the terminals wouldnt budge, and I stripped the bolt. I not have half the engine compartment dissected.

To make a long story short, the flatbed will be there at 9AM tomorrow.

The '95 should only dim when the headlights are on, if thats what you're saying. Both systems should dim in low light only when the headlights are turned on... otherwise they should be at full brightness.

wrong. '94-96 they do autodim. when it gets darker out, it dims. when it gets lighter, it brightens. you can look at a '94-96 HUD and see the light sensor for its operation.

Dude, get a $8 Vice grip and get the damn bolt off. There's no reason to waste huge amounts of money on a tow truck. There is no hex shape left on the battery posts in my Cutlass, I just use a pliers on the larger round part, and it works fine. Worse comes to worse carve the rubbery plastic off the end and get at it better, that's all any shop will do.

wrong. '94-96 they do autodim. when it gets darker out, it dims. when it gets lighter, it brightens. you can look at a '94-96 HUD and see the light sensor for its operation.

Bullshit.. My HUD, out of a 1995 Grand Prix, will NOT dim unless the headlights are on. I can go turn it on right now in the darkness and it'll be full brightness until I flip on the lights. I've seen 3 seperate '94-'96 HUDs and none of them automatically dimmed without the headlight's being on. That light sensor controls it when the headlights are on... not off.