DIS/DIC custom install info

WhiteMonteZZZ

I've been reading up some old posts on installing a DIC/DIS (depending) and have a couple questions. Is this possible on a 95 Monte Z34 (obd 1.5)? I read that fuel econ and such won't work. Don't care about that. What other features does the DIC/DIS have that would be plug...well...splice-and-play? Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Why the older W's got these and the Montes never did...i'll never know. Haha.

WMZZZ

I have a 1990 Cutlass Dis in my '94 3100 and the Average Speed, Date/TIme, Tachometer, Water Temp, and Volt Functions work...so far the trip functions and the fuel economy does not work.

What year might work in my 93 Cut? I would like that look in mine. I wouldn't mind if barely any options work

if you install this one,

IMAG0012a.jpg

every feature will work on your '93, and you won't have to any custom fabbing work to get it to fit in.

it does more stuff than the GP DIC (dic.....) does too.

haha, i said dic.....

The info center from a '94-95 Grand Prix will be about the only complete functioning unit you could install. Anything older or newer will not fully work.

Question: Why would a Pontiac one be the only one that would be complete functioning in my car? What's different between hookups on an Olds, Pontiac, etc? Also, would they all hypothetically work, just some w/more options than others?

WMZZZ

The info center from a '94-95 Grand Prix will be about the only complete functioning unit you could install. Anything older or newer will not fully work.

Question: Why would a Pontiac one be the only one that would be complete functioning in my car? What's different between hookups on an Olds, Pontiac, etc? Also, would they all hypothetically work, just some w/more options than others?

WMZZZ

the Olds DIS wasn't offered past '90 or '91 or around that time. it wasn't an option on my '93, or any later-year Cutlass i know.

the Pontiac DIC was offered through '95, maybe '96 (i'm not sure)

Well that makes sense 8) Off to the junkyard/ebay I go. Now what all would I need? just the DIC? Would I need a harness of some sort? If I find one w/o a harness, can I get by w/o it or is it an integral part? Meaning, can I attach the wires to the unit itself?

Exactly what they said. Pontiac was the only one that offered the trip computer in the 1994-1996 years. 1996 was the completely full OBD2 system, so anything prior to 1996 won't work. 1994-1995 was the shady OBD1.5.. it was a crappy diagnostic sytem and basically any data transfer was exclusive to those two years. So to sum it up, only the '94-'95 model year trip computers will work.. and Pontiac was the only maker that offered them in those 2 years.

If you were to pic up a trip computer, the harness would make things much easier. All you'd need then was a wiring diagram for your Monte Carlo and one for the trip computer. And some cleverness as where to put the computer.