HUD install in '89 Cutlass UPDATE: Stage 1 completed

Justin

Well I got my HUD, haven't tested it yet I guess but I'm looking for some info on installing it. People with the first gen HUD, with the metal grille on top, I've got some Q's for you.

1. Where does your dimmer switch mount?

2. If you installed it yourself, did you have to modify the defrosted ducting at all?

3. If you installed it yourself, did you take measurements as to where to cut your dashpad?

4. Is there any way to tighten up the vertical adjustment? Mine seems a little loose, and I haven't taken it apart to see yet.

We really need a write-up on this project. I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more HUD.

It must be under the light switch then, since it's not the one that sits next to the DIC, with the height adjust and dimmer combined. My height adjust is built into the HUD unit. I've got enough light switches I can hopefully fab up something that works. I'm sure it would be damn near impossible to find the right switch.

Thanks for the help and compliments. That dimmer switch was driving me friggin nuts, man. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out, I probably spent a good hour on cardomain trying to find Cuttys with the early HUDs, but most have the later style. I've already taken the glass out and cleaned it and the mirror, 100% difference. This weekend I'll have to check out some wire colors and give it a test run.

So will the cluster automatically black out the digital speed readout when I turn the HUD on? I guess I'd just as soon have it down there too, can't have enough speedometers. :D

nope, unfortunately you'd need a cluster from a factory HUD car.

Guest TurboSedan
So will the cluster automatically black out the digital speed readout when I turn the HUD on? I guess I'd just as soon have it down there too, can't have enough speedometers. :D

nope, unfortunately you'd need a cluster from a factory HUD car.

wait, are you saying that cars with factory HUD the UB3 clutster speedometer turns off when the HUD is turned on? that seems really unsafe to me....i would want the cluster speedometer to be on at all times regardless if the HUD is on or off.

btw, i do have a write-up with pics of my 1st GEN HUD install. unfortunately my domain expired and i have yet to renew it...so my site should be back up soon. you can take the entire cover off the HUD unit itself. i think there are 4 phillips head screws holding the top cover on (the piece with the glass). my HUD used to have some kind of "HUGHES ELECTRONICS" label on the sides....the 4 screws that hold the cover on are under this label.

i had gotten my HUD from a j/y '89 HO Q4 Cutlass Supreme International. i got the black dashpad from the car too even though it was trashed. i used that dash for awhile and then finally got around to cutting a hole in my original blue dashpad since it is in much better shape. i basically used the HUD dashpad as a guide and tried to copy the same hole on the non-HUD dash pad. i used a dremel and some cutoff wheels to cut the hard black plastic dash 'frame', and then used a carpet knife to cut the top padded part of the dash. i simply cut right through the vent area on the frame....i didn't really see any easy way around it and besides it doesn't seem to have any negative affects from what i can tell...my windshield defroster still works fine etc. i'm happy with the results, but i could have done better. hopefully i can find a nice blue or black HUD dashpad in nice shape sometime, but then again i have been thinking of getting rid of HUD altogether.

no...the numerical readout isn't there on the HUD equipped cars, but the bargraph IS (up to 85mph) the cluster is modified for this, so if the HUD is on or not, it won't display the numbers. I guess they didn't want it to be redundant.

Also a Quad 4/black dashpad means it's at least a '90. '89 never got Q4.

Guest TurboSedan
no...the numerical readout isn't there on the HUD equipped cars, but the bargraph IS (up to 85mph) the cluster is modified for this, so if the HUD is on or not, it won't display the numbers. I guess they didn't want it to be redundant. Also a Quad 4/black dashpad means it's at least a '90. '89 never got Q4.

must have been a '90 then, the car was definately Q4/5-speed. that's interesting they did it that way, but i guess it does seem a little redundant to have two speedos.

That's good to know I won't have to guess my exact speed on sunny days when the HUD doesn't work that well. I guess I'm just spoiled with having the digital readout. Malibuolds, you'll have to post when your site is back up, but in the meantime I might call around to the junkyards to see if there are any dashpads around. I have an extra graphite one, but I doubt it's in very nice shape at all since it's in a car without a windshield that's been sitting outside for about 3 years now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, stage 1 is completed. I wired it up and tested the majority of the functions. I have speed, turn signals and high beam indicators. The low fuel light and check gauges are inop, and I have 2 black wires that I don't know what to do with. Some more questions for the hud masters.

1. Are my black wires ground side switches for the check gauges and low fuel lights, and do I need a HUD cluster to make them work, since I don't think I have the right pins for either of those functions.

2. If I take a pic of the bottom of my dash panel can someone ms paint me up a rough pic of where I have to trim?

3. More of a statement, hud fucking rocks, I really missed it.

1. Are my black wires ground side switches for the check gauges and low fuel lights, and do I need a HUD cluster to make them work, since I don't think I have the right pins for either of those functions.

Justin, I'll try to find my 91 service manual and get a picture of the schematics for you. Though I'm not sure if the wiring changed over the years.

2. If I take a pic of the bottom of my dash panel can someone ms paint me up a rough pic of where I have to trim?

I still have my old Black dashpad from my cutlass if you want you can have it for what it costs to ship.

3. More of a statement, hud fucking rocks, I really missed it.

I'm really glad I added a HUD to my Cutlass. :)

Don't think the wire colors are the same but here it goes.

Pin intputs on the HUD itself.

Pin A - Switched Igition (650 BRN/WHT)

PinB - Ground (151 BLK)

Pin C - Park Lamp Signal (9 BRN)

Pin D - HUD Dimmer Signal (717 WHT)

Pin E - ? (maybe low fuel input)

Pin F - Left Turn Signal (14 LT BLU)

Pin G - Check Gauges Signal (1675 BRN)

Pin H - English/Metric Signal (811 LT BLU)

Pin I - ? (could also be low fuel input)

Pin J - VSS Input (389 DK GRN)

Pin K - Right Turn Signal (15 DK BLU)

Pin L - High Beam Signal (11 LT GRN)

There isn't a low fuel light on 91+ Hud's so that explaines why there isn't an input.

Hope that helps Justin

That black (graphite?) dashpad was out of a factory hud car, right? Do you have the hud with the grille on the top or not? If not I wonder if they bolt up the same.... If so let me know how much to ship to 58201, I'll sure take it off your hands for ya.