Oil pressure dropping??

samiamryan

I have a problem with my oil pressure. When I start it up it sits fine, but after a little driving, when I stop the pressure drops, then I hit the gas and it pops back till I stop again, but its a little lower then previously. If I have to stop hard, it has dropped so low that the engine shuts off. (this usually does this after ive punched the gas) I turn the key and it starts right up. I know my altornator is going dead soon cause when I stop, the lights dim and the heater blows less air and the turn signal slows way down. Is the oil pressure dropping due to the alternator not making enough juice when it idles?

Oil pressure has nothing to do with how well your alt. is charging. The oil pump is driven off the camshaft, so a change in voltage is not gonna change oil pressure. Like Marcus said, it sounds like your alternator is going bad, which is putting more load on the engine, causing oil pressure to drop because the engine is running slower, and sometimes causing the engine to die because it has so much load on it. If your volts drop enough, it can mess with your gauges since the dash is electronic. When my alt. went bad at the track and I had to drive the car home on just my battery, my dash was reading way wrong by the time I got about 25 miles or so from home. It said I was going 110 at 500rpms... Not enough voltage can screw up a bunch of things. Do a load test on the alt. and see if its charging well. I would bet its not and it needs to be replaced and that should fix your problems.

Shawn