HIDs

Carotop

The mini quad does look like the bulb can be easily removed from the reflector, I believe the back of the mini quad is plastic, been awhile since I looked at one but a large hid bulb in there that close to the plastic would melt it in a heartbeat :lol:

Not to mention the fact that the mini quad lens is not designed to be used with a true hid thus rendering the bulb useless and probably with less candlepower..........and who wants to pay $600-1000 for hid headlights anyway, unless they plan to steal them.

Which happens quite a bit apparently, people rip them out of parked cars with a claw hammer effectively destroying the hood, bumper cover and 2 headlight pods and headlight transformer assy's, any maybe 2 fenders :roll:

well...aftermarket HID's CAN be put on a w-body...its been done...there are a few people on this site that have HID's....

I thought real Xenon HID's require the use of alot of extra wiring and a HID "Brain?" The silverstar stuff most people put in their cars are just bulbs.

well...aftermarket HID's CAN be put on a w-body...its been done...there are a few people on this site that have HID's....

I thought real Xenon HID's require the use of alot of extra wiring and a HID "Brain?" The silverstar stuff most people put in their cars are just bulbs.

they require a ballast.

true HID's are more than just changing your light bulbs

they require a ballast.

That's what I shoulda just said..... :lol:

yeah...i KNOW THAT...and STILL...there are @ least 2 people on w-body with HID's...one is Gnatsgosplat...he was em in his cutlass and his wifes cutlass...i don't remember who the other is...but, they're in a lumina...ALSO, that LUMINASS or whatever has HID PROJECTORS in his lumina...

5speedz34 wrote:

Quote:

they require a ballast.

That's what I shoulda just said..... Laughing

yeah...i KNOW THAT...and STILL...there are @ least 2 people on w-body with HID's...one is Gnatsgosplat...he was em in his cutlass and his wifes cutlass...i don't remember who the other is...but, they're in a lumina...ALSO, that LUMINASS or whatever has HID PROJECTORS in his lumina...

Shawn has HID in his Cutty's or just HID bulbs? What i would consider to be "true" HID is LUMINASS'

You can't really have HID bulbs without the complete system... the bulbs wouldn't work. A complete HID system, properly installed, is WELL worth it, IMO. I always thought they were a waste of money until I got behind the wheel of a HID-equipped car... impressed.

5speedz34 wrote:

Quote:

they require a ballast.

That's what I shoulda just said..... Laughing

Shawn has HID in his Cutty's or just HID bulbs? What i would consider to be "true" HID is LUMINASS'

he has HID's...BULBS & BALLASTS...now, LUMINA SS has HID PROJECTORS...

this topic has been beat to death already... use the search function. I know for sure I've read multiple topics here and linked cardomain pages describing HIDs in w-bodies in detail.

See my cardomain pages in my sig. I have pics and info of the HID install into both my Cutlasses.

What I did is called an HID conversion, simply replacing halogen bulbs with real HID bulbs that have been rebased to fit into 9006 housings.

What ssblack did is called an HID retrofit, that is when entire HID projector assemblies are retrofit into existing headlight housings.

The HID conversion is simple, but doesn't improve the beam pattern and can cause glare to other drivers since it's basically a ton more light out of the same shitty beam pattern (although miniquad headlights have so little light output, glare is not a problem). A projector beam retrofit is better and can result in a beam pattern as good as the European car that the projector assembly came out of. However, a retrofit is a whole lot more difficult, a whole lot more work, and a whole lot more money.

Would silverstars be just fine for brightness. And all you did on your cutty was replace the bulbs with HIDs and hook up the ballast? And the old capsules just pull out of the housing?

I put silverstars on the gp. They are a little brighter and have a white light instead of the yellow stock stuff. My headlights still suck though!

The only gripe I had about them was their performance on wet pavement.. seems like the road just absorbed the light. Can't tell ya how many times I had to check to see if my headlights were on when it was raining at night.

I put silverstars on the gp. They are a little brighter and have a white light instead of the yellow stock stuff. My headlights still suck though!

The only gripe I had about them was their performance on wet pavement.. seems like the road just absorbed the light. Can't tell ya how many times I had to check to see if my headlights were on when it was raining at night.

Yeah same here. I knew they were on because of the auto lights but still could barely see.

whatever the application is, the best thing is to go with OEM projectors, bulbs, and ballasts. All available off eBay.

What I have on mine are Bosch low beam projectors that are available on some BMW E46, AUDI A6, and BMW E38.

The projectors use D2S Osram bulbs.

Here is a fact, aftermarket HID wanna-be bulbs use colored glass to go for a ble/purple color effect. They also draw more current.

The OEM projectors use physics. The projectors have a shield that cuts the white light like a prism. So, the blue light is the one that hits the ground farthest, so it's the one you see from far away.

I found that the Bosch projectors are the best for applications in Lumina and Grand Prix. Cutlass with sealed beam lights might be a bit difficult to mount projectors in. Otherwise, you just open the housing, make the bulb socket bigger to accept the projector, cut the lens, substitute the front of it with GTS clear mask using silicone...

With my altered Lumina headlights, I can safely drive through curvy rodes of PA and NJ. These lights create a white field of light in front of you without blinding the oncoming traffic.

For those that haven't seen my HID lights, goto http://www.cardomain.com/id/ssblack

Ebay has hid kits for like 300$ now, check em out, you can get them 6000k a really white light, up to 12,000k a really really purple light. Price has really come down since the days of 1000$+, only thing is bulbs are still 100$