Master Cylinder questions...

Jon89le

Well after a scary experience the other day, im going to start looking for a new MC. I was approaching a light and after the glare cleared i realized the light was red so i hit the brakes a little harder and they eventually hit the floor and she wasnt stopping. Now i know the brakes suck but i found that a bit much. So far pads and rotors are new with EBCs on the front. No leaks and all corners bled more than once. Now excluding ABS/Non-, the MCs that were in the latter 94-96 GPs, was there a difference in them when compared to the earlier 88-93 models? And ive asked before, but has anyone ever tryed a proportioning valve on their W-Body? Thanks for any comments...

On a somewhat related note...

As we all know W-body brakes blow. Is there any way to adjust pedal travel though? My pads are new, rotors turned, brakes weren't bled but fluid still appears good. My friend's cavalier (newer) has 0 pedal travel (well minimal) before brakes are applied, and my car has a fair amount of travel.

the 94-96 sure as shit look the same to me, but someone should be able to cross reference it. I dunno if there was a bad batch of MC's cause my '89 did the same thing a few times. However, it would "come back" after a couple of minutes. After I did a full brake bleed, it didn't happen again. I never lost a drop of fluid either.

well whatever design differences, I don't think they were to change brake pedal feel, etc. I think you'd be best with the correct one for your year. The MC isn't any bigger in my car vs my older cutlass's, and pedal feel is about the same.

Isn't the 94+'s brake booster bigger? I thought Brian P said that he put the newer one in and it made a world of difference.

Not me:? The brake booster is bigger, yes. But that's separate from the MC. Brian89GP was messing with brake boosters but I believe he went the other way around- put a '88-93 reman booster in so he could install parts for the standard transmission. The reman unit worked a lot better.

If i were to run the bigger booster from the latter gen GPs, would i have vacuum issues with the cam? Its a mild cam, Crane 2030, but im just wondering. Any way to increase the vacuum reserve for the booster?

If i were to run the bigger booster from the latter gen GPs, would i have vacuum issues with the cam? Its a mild cam, Crane 2030, but im just wondering. Any way to increase the vacuum reserve for the booster?

nope you wouldn't have any vacuum issues.

Not me:? The brake booster is bigger, yes. But that's separate from the MC. Brian89GP was messing with brake boosters but I believe he went the other way around- put a '88-93 reman booster in so he could install parts for the standard transmission. The reman unit worked a lot better.

My bad, I forgot wrong Brian. :roll: