Cold weather = bad gas mileage?

THe_DeTAiL3R

I've noticed that in the past few weeks since it's been cold my car has been eating more gas. Now maybe I should store it in the garage overnight, cause it's cold in the morning and doesn't get a chance to warm up before I go. I changed the t-stat so the engine IS getting up to normal temperature. I changed my oil recently (5w30) and noticed no difference.

Anyone else notice their car hungry on gas? Maybe I need to do a tuneup or something.

Your car eats more gasoline in winter becuase they change the formulation of the gas so it will burn better in the cold weather. During the winter gasoline gets a totally differant package of addatives, unfortunately it also results in slightly worse (1-2 mpg) fuel mileage. At least thats the case here in the states.

Maybe my car is odd, but it eats way more gas on a hot summer day than a frigid cold one.

I agree. Except for letting it run for 15 mins warming up I'd say I get better gas mileage during the winter. I thought it was gunna be reverse. But I also think it has to do with the way we drive in the winter (more cautiously etc)

my 2cent

most use more in the winter, it takes more to start them and warm them up, a carbed car has the choke that needs to be on in the cold to start and keep it running smooth till it warms up while an efi car looks at the coolant temp sensor the ecm adjusts for more fuel at cold tems like a carbed car with the choke on, i get about 100 kms less per tank in the cold

Yeah I'd say I might be getting around 100km less per tank too and I don't like it :?

I got the car plugged in (block heater) tonight will see if I start to notice a difference. Hopefully it will be nice and warm quicker when i start it up.

Heating the block can help, and certainly helps cold start wear, but you aren't going to get around the differently mixed fuel in the northern half of the US and Canada (I assume Canada anyway).

Mike

ya know I never really thought about that, but its true. My Prix is definately more thirsty since its been frigid the last few weeks. To make things worst, Western NY is in the top 5 around the country is gas prices...still $2/gal for 87.

ya know I never really thought about that, but its true. My Prix is definately more thirsty since its been frigid the last few weeks. To make things worst, Western NY is in the top 5 around the country is gas prices...still $2/gal for 87.

I never noticed a problem.. and I just paid $1.93 for 87 at the Delta Sonic on Walden ;)

Should have gone with 0W-30 oil, especially in Canada. Best deal on 0W-30 oil is Esso XD-3 0W30 Synthetic, which you can get at an Esso bulk dealer for around $15 for a 4L jug.

Other than that, re-inflate your tyres -- the cold weather reduces tyre pressure. And if possible, check to see that your thermostat is working properly. Having a DIS makes that really easy.