Wheel bearing

fleetwoodguy79

I have a left side wheel bearing thats gone bad. Is there any way to repack it? I really don't want to spend $100 on a new one, but if I have to I will! I've never done one before, is it hard to do? Supposedly all I need to do is take off all the brake hardware, then there are 4 bolts right? Thanks everyone!

They're not designed to be repacked. That doesn't mean you can't, but it's probably not worth trying since a lot of it is press-fit together.

Yes, just 4-bolts hold it on. This is the rear, I'm guessing? Front will need the hub nut removed and the axle pressed out of the hub.

If it has a plastic seal you could maybe stick a grease needle into it and work good grease into it and then seal the hole back up by melting and smearing the plastic, what your esentially doing is masking a big underlying problem that a sealed for life bearing is dead and gone

Just replace it and new aint bad for $80-100, good for 100k and its only your wheel thats spinning on the bastard :roll:

I guess if your car only goes 35mph or under anything is better than nothing, most hit the hyway tho

Did this last summer, around 130k miles on the 95 Cutty convertible.

Front one is NOT pressed on, they are just a tight fit. Take off the big axle nut (22mm i think), then take out the four bolts from behind the hub, saturate everything with penetrant. Take a lunch break. Take 2x4 and gentle start pounding. Spray more penetrant. Eat dinner. Pound some more, again with a wood block. :)

My point is, not pressed, just likely seized due to corrosion. Once you break the rust it'll fall off like butter.

Oh, and I would put on 4 brand new mounting bolts. They're fairly cheap and a safety concern in my opinion, especially if they're notably rusty.

$100 from store sounds right.

Brian