Power Steering question

Intlcutlass

89 Cutty Intl

I hear that horrid whinning from the p/s.

When I checked the fluid, it did appear foamy. It is obviously leaking from someplace, yet I have not found it yet. It was a little grungy in that area so I washed everything down last night and let it dry. I figure the leak will be easier to see when all is clean.

It does appear to be loosing fluid judging from the tank.

I have read the post that gave instructions on how to replace the pump (good info).

Does anyone have have any tips on how to determain where the leak is coming from?

I'm having the exact same problem... my pump is whining bad, and i'm losing fluid as well. I had a mechanic friend look at it and he tightened all the lines for me. He told me as long as the pump is still working, keep it untill it finally quits. However even after tightening all the lines it is still leaking from some unknown location. I have a feeling it might actually be leaking out of the pump, so replacing it might help. I plan to investigate further this weekend.

you got me... I'm gonna consult my haynes manual when i get home from work. I'm pretty sure it's my pump though, or the problem with my pump is causing a leak somewhere else... It was fine when i bought my car and then my pump started whining. It wasn't untill after that that my fluid started leaking. I'm just topping it off every few days. I'll let you know when i find the source of my problem.

There are two line comming off the pump. One that screws into a fitting, and another one that slides on and is held on be a hose clamp. The one that is screwed in is the High Pressure line, and the other one is the return, or low-pressure line. It may also be the pressure release valve that is sticking open.

There are two line comming off the pump. One that screws into a fitting, and another one that slides on and is held on be a hose clamp. The one that is screwed in is the High Pressure line, and the other one is the return, or low-pressure line. It may also be the pressure release valve that is sticking open.

Pressure valve...? Tell me more... Can I check it on the car? Where is it?

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23167&highlight=power+steering+pump

That's the thread i started when having the same problem. Read his post on fixing the pressure release valve.

I do have a question though, would that valve being stuck open cause the high pressure line to leak fluid? I was worried that maybe a bearing had gone in my pump and that was leaking fluid, but if that valve is stuck open and there's too much pressure in that line i'm sure that could cause a leak as well

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23167&highlight=power+steering+pump

That's the thread i started when having the same problem. Read his post on fixing the pressure release valve.

I do have a question though, would that valve being stuck open cause the high pressure line to leak fluid? I was worried that maybe a bearing had gone in my pump and that was leaking fluid, but if that valve is stuck open and there's too much pressure in that line i'm sure that could cause a leak as well

Sorry, The presure release valve won't cause the car to leak fluid. The reason i put that is because if the valve is stuck open a bit, it may allow a bit of air into the lines and cause it to foam up. Plus, when the valve is open, the fluid isn't being pumped, but rather mixed around in the pump. Also, if you notice that your steering is a little stiffer than usual, but tends to become easier at high RPM, the valve may be sticking a bit. Jst in case you're not sure what the valve does, it releases the pressure when you turn the wheel all the way, so that you don't damage the pump/lines/rack. If the valve is stuck closed, you most likely would have blown something already. You should be able to get a P/S pump at a bone yard for pretty cheap. And it is pretty simple to replace too.

ok, i got ya. I know i can get a new pump from autozone w/ resevoir for $60, I don't think my problem is the valve then... when i top it off with fluid, i don't have any problems turning the wheel, even when idling, it just makes a lot of noise. I need to track down that leak also, so i know if i gotta fix any lines....

Damn, i need to stop posting about this and actually do the work :lol:

My car makes a horrid whinning noise when extremely cold(below -20C). I have been told that it is something called morning sickness. The seals in the rack become cold and unplyable and dont seal properly until they warm up.