Sticky Gear Shift

runt

Yeah...so um, if the car sits in the cold for too long, the button on the gear shift will stick, almost like it's frozen. Takes a bit of beating to get it to finally move so I can get the car out of park. Think I should just simply replace the shift knob, or take it apart and clean it?

It's not your knob, it's the Brake-Shift Interlock that's causing your problem. You have to remove the upper console to get to it. You are correct on how to remove the knob (pop the horseshoe clip, pull knob straight up.)

The BSI looks like a small plastic canister with a rod attached to the end of the shifter linkage. Take a large flat-blade screwdriver and pop the end of the BSI's rod off of the shifter assy, then move it to the side. Don't bother trying to replace the stupid thing unless you plan on accidentally putting the car in gear without your foot on the brake :lol: ...

BTW, I removed the BSI from both my Regal and GP because I was having the same problem with both being difficult to shift out of park when it was cold out. Needless to say, I don't have anymore problems :D ...

You're already bitching about your colorado?! :lol: :lol:

no i'm not, because i've never seen a pickup with a floor shifter

my Olds had a column shift though....

The new f-150s have them as an option.... not that i'd recommend a ford :lol: I think the nissan titan has one also as an option.

I'd try taking it apart and cleaning it... try a little oil on the internals too.

I wouldn't want an automatic floor shift on a pickup.......the levers for the manual transmission and 4WD take up enough space as it is. I guess I like to throw shit on the floor of a pickup.