Few ?'s about cutty conv's

no1kicker

I did a search and didn't find any L67/conv info. I have some questions. First, if one were to get a 94 or older cutty, how hard would it be to swap out the dash? Would the door panels need to be changed as well? Doesn't look too hard, but I may be overlooking a few things.

Second, how about the L67 cutty conv. How strong is the frame? Would it hold 300hp? I know the 3.4 is ok in them. Did they make any 3100's for 94-96? All of them that I see for sale have the 3.4. I've seen earlier ones with the 3.1 but not the 94+.

Also, 94 was the first year for the airbag? Seems odd that the new dash started in 95 though.

Finally, is there anyone that has done the swap in a conv? I've looked around at L67swap and other sites but haven't found one yet. I'm thinking this might be a good project, rather than a newer GTP.

I think only about two people have done newer dash swaps.. and it was the general consensus that they were a) nuts, and B) had more balls than a good deal of people here.

In other works, good luck.

And yea, it'd look really awkward with the new dash/old door panels.

I don't know if they stopped using the 3100, I don't think so though. And yea, '94s first year for airbag (and EXTREMELY small dash changes.. pretty much a few curves added here and there, and the headlight switch was changed. The dash carrier or firewall is different than the older ones too, as evident by trying to get the ebrake pedal setup on the '94 caliper swap..

The 3.1 was available in 95'. Getting the LQ1 required adding the "sport package" which included the rear spoiler, stiffer suspension, strut tower brace, and of coarse the 3.4 DOHC engine. It was only an extra $1200 for the package which explains why most convertibles got it in 95'.

Oh, and there were no convertibles for 96', 95' was the last year.

Frankly I'd be worried about strapping a 300hp engine to the cars frame, second gen cars got strengthened and redesigned cradles to handle the additional horsepower of the second generation engines. Even those were only designed to deal with an unmodified L67, so given that our cradles are weaker and the added horsepower your talking about I think I'd be nervous about slapping one in a convertible. I don't know if you driven one yet, but the body isn't exactly what I would call solid. Its better than any Chryler Seebring or LeBaron I've driven, but the structure still likes to twist and bend alot. Thats a lot of added stress to place on something trying to deal with an extra 100 lbs. ft. of torque to begin with.

Finally, is there anyone that has done the swap in a conv?

I've been wondering this also. thinking about it since i dont like my 3.4 very much right now (timing belt troubles) and would rather just not deal with it. I Thought i'd heard of one but dont remember who it was...

L67 swap would be the same as anything else.

Swapping out the dash - I think a lot of the wiring is changed, so I'm not sure it would be worth it unless you're gutting the whole interior and all harnesses.

Door panels should be changed. Seatbelts will need to be relocated, mounts welded. It's possible you could keep the door mounted belts by using 94-96 Grand Prix door panels with the newer dash? Not sure though.

94 got driver side airbag only. 94 was a unique year, most parts are different from 88-93.