Performance Question: Rear Mounted Turbo Set-Up

90TGP

Ok, everyone knows that the major things holding us back on putting in a larger turbo, is A) the T25 flange B) engine space C) Injectors D) Tuning. Well I don't have a solution for C&D, but I have an idea for A&B.

I've been seeing more and more rear mounted turb set-ups appearing on F-Body's and Corvettes. http://www.jlturbo.com/info.htm

With the turbo out of the engine bay, you would drastically reduce engine heat, and free up a lot of room. You could also do a 3x00 topend swap and exhaust manifold swap without having to worry about modifying the exhaust manifolds to work with the cross-x pipe.

With the turbo under the car, you don't have to worry about heat soak since the filter would be getting cold air.

new_exh_small1.jpg

And talk about a sleeper set-up. If anyone asks you to pop the hood, you can show them your "cold air" intake.

lt1BOV.jpg

Any comments?

plumbing is a nightmare! oil lines?? so much intake pipe it would create lag haveing to fill all that pipe up with boost. all the distance between the engine and the turbo creates lag because the exhaust gases have time to cool down creating less exhaust to spin the thing up. wheres the intercooler? unless they run 8 or less psi. also do you really want your filter and turbo under your car exposed to water dirt and other things that splash off your tires?

that is a lazy way out.

our engine bay isn't that bad if you move the battery,washer fluid and coolant overflow.

marcus

Looks like the filter is in direct path of any mud that the rear tires would kick up. And you can see the bov in the first pic.

Negative thinking aside, I think it would be easier than a regular turbo kit. No custom xover or moving thins around too much. I can imagine there would be more lag though. From what I learned at school, the longer the pipe the more resistance. So you would lose some boost along the way. But the long pipe could act as an intercooler. You could put some fins on the pipe to help the cooling.

Actually, that's the wastegate in the first pic. But, Marcus pretty much wrapped it up, and one of the "features" is that you don't "Need" an intercooler, becuase the pipe is so long. There was a huge article in Turbo mag. a few months ago, I'll try to dig it up. They liked it, I hate it (but they are paid to like new shit like that)

No room! :lol: In the beretta..I had less room than the TGP. I could fit a big IHI GM8 turbo or a Cummins Holset there. The DP is a bit of a squize..but nothing a 3 or 4 in oval dp can't do. Im managing to fit a big Volvo FMIC on the GTU. The TGP is a godsend compared to the beretta. :shock: . But hey..those are not bad ideas. Though I woun't go with a charge pipe smaller than 60% of the TB for no more than 6 feet. Just look at how small the pipe is at where it enters the Maf meter on the pic above.

I saw an STS equipped LS1 camaro at SLP appreciation day in E-town this summer. I don't recall exactly what the car was running, but I'm pretty sure it was mid 11s. The car was in the pits and there were a ton of people around it, so I wondered what all the fuss was about. People were scouring the engine bay so I couldn't see what was going on, until I saw the STS turbo kits sticker on the radiator support. I went to the back of the car and laid on the ground to look underneath. I then called my brother over to check it and everyone starting looking under there too. Anyways, I couldn't believe how quiet the car was has no muffler since the turbo replaced it.