Turbo 3100 Monte Carlo

90TGP

Due to an oil leak the turbo 3.1 v6 is no more. It has been replaced with a 3.4L V6 NA (above). Plans for a turbo on the new engine are underway. Stay tuned for more information.

171hp at the wheels.. hmm dosnt sound like it was worth it.. a stock auto 3.4dohc can put 170 at the wheels easy

[edit] thats manicors car! he has a turbo in it now and he ran a 14.0 i think at the track. the downside is its still the same transmission 180k miles plus[/edit]

171hp at the wheels is quite a jump from what the factory 3100 puts out at the wheels...

Not really. The stock 3.1 MPFI was rated at something like 140hp, and the stock 3100 was rated at 160hp, IIRC. Don't quote me, but I remember those numbers (give or take).

171hp at the wheels is quite a jump from what the factory 3100 puts out at the wheels...

Not really. The stock 3.1 MPFI was rated at something like 140hp, and the stock 3100 was rated at 160hp, IIRC. Don't quote me, but I remember those numbers (give or take).

Thats at the crank though.

Thats at the crank though.

Duh.. sorry. I'm still learning this stuff, I have electronics and engine troubleshooting pretty much down, but theory and tuning I'm still learning about.

171hp at the wheels.. hmm dosnt sound like it was worth it.. a stock auto 3.4dohc can put 170 at the wheels easy

[edit] thats manicors car! he has a turbo in it now and he ran a 14.0 i think at the track. the downside is its still the same transmission 180k miles plus[/edit]

yep thats Manitcor's car. runs mymonte.com. When did he turbo the 3400?? last time i saw it run was at US 41 and it ran like a 15.4??

yep thats Manitcor's car. runs mymonte.com. When did he turbo the 3400?? last time i saw it run was at US 41 and it ran like a 15.4??

just a few months ago i cant be exact on the date but he has a thread about it over at mymonte. or am i confusing him with someone else :?: maybe jerm has his turboed? damnit i havent been there for a while

I actually saw the turbo 3100 in person. There was a company making a kit specifically for Monte's, but their quality was horrible. He was their test car and I don't think they ever worked through the problems he had. He ended up taking some of his parts to the guy who built my turbo setup to get them fixed! Manticor's setup was impressive, but his commitment to his Monte is much more impressive. I believe he is running a 3400(definitely) and 4T65e(maybe) right now.

Tim

I actually saw the turbo 3100 in person. There was a company making a kit specifically for Monte's, but their quality was horrible. He was their test car and I don't think they ever worked through the problems he had. He ended up taking some of his parts to the guy who built my turbo setup to get them fixed! Manticor's setup was impressive, but his commitment to his Monte is much more impressive. I believe he is running a 3400(definitely) and 4T65e(maybe) right now.

Tim

yeah...i PMed him about a month or 2 ago to ask about the 3400 swap...the turbo 3100 blew up...he now has a N/A 3400 in it...i think he still has the 4T60e tranny but plans on swapping that and he was telling me he wants to put a 3500 in the monte very shortly...

171 at the wheels does sound kinda low. That means he only added ~50hp with a turbo. Don't get me wrong, thats a lot of power, but if I were gonna put on a turbo I would want to add more than 50hp. My STE dynoed 182whp stock.

Shawn

It said he was only running 4psi of boost, thats why the hp seems low. The 3100 has higher compression than a 3.1, so you wont be able to boost it as much, unless you use race gas. I would think you could go more than 4psi tho

It said he was only running 4psi of boost, thats why the hp seems low. The 3100 has higher compression than a 3.1, so you wont be able to boost it as much, unless you use race gas. I would think you could go more than 4psi tho

Woo WOOOOO

I realize it has higher compression, but its 9.4:1 instead of 8.8:1, thats not a big difference at all. He could still run way more boost than the 4psi. Depending on the turbo he's running he could probably easily run 10psi without an intercooler (assuming he tunes for the extra fuel), and with an intercooler 15+psi. If you're only gonna run 4psi boost, then why bother with the turbo setup...thats my opinion. My STE was only running 6psi when I dynoed it, so with 4psi on an engine with significantly better flowing heads/intakes it should make AT LEAST as much as I made on 6psi with a stock 3.1 I would think.

Shawn

Tim

yeah...i PMed him about a month or 2 ago to ask about the 3400 swap...the turbo 3100 blew up...he now has a N/A 3400 in it...i think he still has the 4T60e tranny but plans on swapping that and he was telling me he wants to put a 3500 in the monte very shortly...

that is correct. he mentioned something about a 3500 swap from a new chevy a while ago on MM.

Think of it like a bike. A larger alt pully will make it turn slower. I don't know why anybody would want to do that. I haven't had a car yet that makes enough voltage at idle when your stopped with brake lights, headlights, wipers, blower, and stereo on at the same time

um, i know this might sound wierd, but..

255930_13.jpg

ok, so he got an UD pully.

but doesn't he counteract that by putting a larger pully on the alt??

or am i just dumb...

WELL...i also asked him about that :lol: ...anywayz...when he replaced his alternator he didnt put that pulley back on...he said it really didnt do anything... :lol:

A few coments about the things that have popped up in this thread............

1) Yes he (Manticor) only made 171whp with his 3100 Turbo, but as mentioned that WAS with only 4psi. That is also enough with the torque he made to reel off easy mid 15's..........and you can just turn up the boost. It IS also around 50whp more than stock........again, not bad for 4 psi.

As for Monte's running 14.0 in turnoed form, that WAS Germ that did it. On 7psi IIRC. As soon as he went to 10psi, bye bye headgasket. Guess we know the weak link now :wink:

2) Manticor is now back to a 3400 auto (still with the 60-E for now AFAIK). He has run some 15.9's with it, but Germ (prior to going turbo) went 15.6XX (he also had a DHP PCM though). I believe Manticor wants to switch to OBDII in the near future so he can run a DHP PCM (or Powertuner), and hopefully a 65-E......we'll see what happens.

3) Altenator pullies (larger than stock) DO add a little power...........I stress the word "little". We are talking about something on the order of 1whp.........about the same as a K&N drop-in. Worth it if you have limited power options (and/or a small stereo), but not if you have some big ass system. I DO think it's a decent cheap add-on to the FFP UDP though.......