Pontiac Delco CD player fix question & random other

Heza

so i was sick and tired of seeing my damn non-lit display on my factory Delco deck. no, i wont get an aftermarket to replace it because i love the stock appearance more than the god awful kit that is made for aftermarket in GPs.

i pulled the Delco deck apart today and got the backlight bulb desoldered and pulled out. now, where can i get a replacement bulb with the actual case that the bulb sits in? anyone know?

also...in '94-96 the Grand Prixs didnt have a light for the ashtray correct? i found the light in the center console, but no where to mount it for the ashtray. it was just Luminas and Monte Carlos that had a lit ash tray correct?

Have you seen the aftermarket kits where it has like "Grand Prix" or "Pontiac" embossed in it? It looks really professional and good.. and I LOATHE aftermarket kits, so that's a lot coming from me.

havent, but if you have a link id like to check it out!

i dont mind the stock system in my car because of the 8 speaker performance sound. it needs a little more bass, but i made a box with an Alpine MRD 500 and an Audiobahn 12". just need to get wire and install it.

also...in '94-96 the Grand Prixs didnt have a light for the ashtray correct? i found the light in the center console, but no where to mount it for the ashtray. it was just Luminas and Monte Carlos that had a lit ash tray correct?
They do have a light. You have to put the ashtray in the console with the small hole facing the drivers side so the light will shine through. If you take the upper console out, you'll see a tab next to the ashtray opening where the spring clip on the light mounts to. Line up the hole in the ashtray with the end of the light and viola, instant lighted ashtray...

Thought I'd mention this seeing as you might have to remove your upper console: While you have the upper console out, do yourself a favor and pop off the Brake-Shift Interlock. You'll see a round solenoid clipped to the bottom of the lower console with a rod going to the shifter linkage. Pop the end of it off of the shifter linkage with a flat-blade screwdriver, and you're free of that nuisance for good!

They do have a light. You have to put the ashtray in the console with the small hole facing the drivers side so the light will shine through. If you take the upper console out, you'll see a tab next to the ashtray opening where the spring clip on the light mounts to. Line up the hole in the ashtray with the end of the light and viola, instant lighted ashtray...

Thought I'd mention this seeing as you might have to remove your upper console: While you have the upper console out, do yourself a favor and pop off the Brake-Shift Interlock. You'll see a round solenoid clipped to the bottom of the lower console with a rod going to the shifter linkage. Pop the end of it off of the shifter linkage with a flat-blade screwdriver, and you're free of that nuisance for good!

thanks for the input! ill check it out. the console was out because i needed access to pull the radio out. when i pulled the console, i saw the lone light that could only be for the ash tray light. but i couldnt see anything to clip the light too. ill flip the ashtray hole to the driver side and check again. thanks again!

No prob! I've already swapped radios a few times in my GP, so I've had the console apart quite a bit. It took me a couple of trys to figure out the whole ashtray light thing myself.

I also got sick of that stupid Brake-Shift Interlock sticking when it got cold out (both my GP and Regal had sticky BSI's.) I figure it's a totally useless feature anyway (GM probably put those in their cars in response to that class-action lawsuit against Volvo where their cars "accidentally" slipped out of gear while idling...)

I may have a bulb for your radio... Let me look through my junk and get you a picture of what I have.

if it looks anything like this, but not for $16...ill take it!

http://www.corvetteradios.com/home/bu6.jpg

Those fuckers are extremely expensive. I wouldn't buy shit from them.

They charge $26 for a goddamn Theftlock code (dealer only charges $15, I do it free), and they want $320 for my radio. THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FUCKING DOLLARS. I could buy a DAMN nice aftermarket system for that.

Luke, thanks for the search...just let me know $$$ + shipping once you find it and ill be all over it!

digitaloutside, they may be expensive, but find me another resource for that particular bulb. i couldnt find one other than that.

I had to replace the volume on/off knob in my 96 CD player, I found a local shop that does radio repairs and got the component for like $12. I wanna say I found out about them through a dealer or maybe through a car audio place, call around.

I found the bulb, and it looks to be good. I've also got a slew of other faceplate parts from a dead 97 GP CD Player (w/ EQ)

The bulb is yours for the cost of shipping.. I can't justify charging someone for a dinky, used light bulb. 8) PM me your shipping address, and I'll let you know the cost.