No Heat!!!!!!!!

jeremy

My car doesn't want to blow any hot air from the heater, the temp. guage is quite active now too....it climbs really quickly then once I turn a corner it drops rather quickly.....only to start climbing again in a little while....I haven't driven her for more then a mile or two at a time because I don't want to risk overheating her.

There is plenty of antifreeze in her.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I found the write up below that looks very useful.....I will have to try to fix it sometime soon....good thing I only drive her 2 miles a day, because I probably won't be able to get to it until next week....

can someone look at the write up and tell me if it makes sense to them

thanks in advance

http://www.sourcenet.ca:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=156711&psdid=31&evc=sm

Guest Anonymous

That writeup makes sense EXCEPT they fail to mention the t-stat housing is behind the x-over pipe. The easiest way is to just take off the x-over. Also, I believe the housing is slotted on the bottom. You don't need to take the bolt the whole way out. Loosen it almost the whole way out ant the housing will slide up and out from it.

any idea how difficult it is to change on a 3100?? has anyone done a write up with pics???

Not too awful hard. I'm sure that if you look in that mess of a garage of yours, you might find a Haynes manual that tells you how to change it.

Not too awful hard. I'm sure that if you look in that mess of a garage of yours, you might find a Haynes manual that tells you how to change it.

hey now...there is room in the loft above the garage AND there is room for the wife's car... :evil: :evil: :evil:

i called couple of shops because I am going to be really busy the next week or two....the first shop told me $242, the second one told me $184 and the final one told me $145.....so I drove to Murray's and paid $5.99 for the part and $1.99 for the gasket and I pull her in the garage and try to attack her sometime soon.....don't know when, but it will happen and it doesn't look difficult at all....

just glad that I only drive her 2 miles a day :D

hey now...there is room in the loft above the garage AND there is room for the wife's car... :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hopefully you can find all the tools that you'll need :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hopefully you can find all the tools that you'll need :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that will be an accomplishment in itself....

....i have a really nice craftsman toolbox, but as you know most of my tools aren't in it :shock:

Very true!!! If you plan on doing this within the next couple weeks, i'm on christmas break if you want any help,

or tools :lol:

I don't think he's gonna want that kinda tool. He's married, you know.

My car doesn't want to blow any hot air from the heater, the temp. guage is quite active now too....it climbs really quickly then once I turn a corner it drops rather quickly.....only to start climbing again in a little while....I haven't driven her for more then a mile or two at a time because I don't want to risk overheating her.

There is plenty of antifreeze in her.

Any ideas/suggestions?

How high does the gage go? Sounds more like air in the cooling system. If the system hasn't been opened in a while, it may be time to check your engine gaskets (intake, and do a compression test to check the head gaskets)

How high does the gage go? Sounds more like air in the cooling system. If the system hasn't been opened in a while, it may be time to check your engine gaskets (intake, and do a compression test to check the head gaskets)

I goes about 2/3 of the way up, not to the red though....then it kicks back down to about 1/4 way up...

thanks for the info...I'll be sure to let ya'll know the outcome once I find time to attack her....

I agree. There is definitely air in the cooling system.

Open the two bleeder valves. One is on the t-stat housing, other is on top of water pump.

Run engine until coolant comes out of both holes and tighten when the coolant comes out.

Top off coolant and you should be air free.

Open the two bleeder valves. One is on the t-stat housing, other is on top of water pump.

Run engine until coolant comes out of both holes and tighten when the coolant comes out.

Top off coolant and you should be air free.

You can also pop the radiator cap when the car is cool, fill the radiator to the top, start the car, and stand near the radiator filling it as the level goes down. Only let the car run for 5 minutes or so, then shut it off and put the cap back on. Fill the reservoir tank a bit past the "HOT" mark and you should be fine...

• 4 weeks later...

same thing is happending to me except mine goes all the way to the red...then ill turn a corner...seems to work on on hard rights...i already replaced the t-stat this last fall...so its new...it seems to only do it when it is really cold out....maybe my anti-freeze mixture is wrong and it is freeezing the spring on the t-stat? really weird,,i already bled the piss out of it....when its about 20-30 above it will get hot then all the sudden the t stat will open up and the engine will be normal for the rest of driving..but when it is 20 or below it never opens up and i have to stop driving for a little while so it cools down. any suggestions?