i need to tow my car....but how???

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

ok i have my Cutlass sitting here at my house with no engine or transmission. the problem is, i have to tow this thing to the car wash so i can powerwash underhood while it's empty. if i tow it with no axles will i trash the wheel bearing/hub assemblies? how am i going to get this thing to the car wash without renting a dolly? could i possibly get some outer CV joints and bolt them in place and tow the car that way without hurting anything? only problem is is that i don't want to go spend money on something like that or go through the trouble...

i'm about to just say fuck it and tow the thing anyway, and then just plan on buying new wheel bearings :? i'm thinking that's my only choice short of renting a dolly.

i'd personally get a dolly, or you could pick up some junk halfshafts from the junkyard and chop off the parts that go into the tranny and just bolt them in for the trip.

Guest TurboSedan
or you could pick up some junk halfshafts from the junkyard and chop off the parts that go into the tranny and just bolt them in for the trip.

that's exactly what i've done with my GTS in the past. i have a set of outer CV joints in my garage for the sole purpose of towing the car when it has no drivetrain. i think i'll check one of the local salvage yards tomarrow about getting a set of W-body axles....then just take the outer CV joints off of them and throw the rest away. if i can get them cheap enough i'll do it. either way i don't think i'm going to spend money on (or go through the trouble of) renting a dolly. worst comes to worst i'll tow it w/o axles and buy new ones later i guess.

Guest TurboSedan
If I have time tomorrow and my dad isn't busy I may be able to bring by the carpet cleaning machine. It has a pressure washer thingy on it.

that would be great (!) but i won't have time to do anything tomarrow. i have a Dr. appointment then i have to drive 4hrs to Laramie...

If I have time tomorrow and my dad isn't busy I may be able to bring by the carpet cleaning machine. It has a pressure washer thingy on it.

that would be great (!) but i won't have time to do anything tomarrow. i have a Dr. appointment then i have to drive 4hrs to Laramie...

Well maybe when you get back here again.

Guest TurboSedan

yeah i'll be back Saturday or Sunday (i think/hope). i'm probably going to be back & forth like every week in Dec/Jan.

how much pressure does that thing put out? as much as a car wash would?

yeah i'll be back Saturday or Sunday (i think/hope). i'm probably going to be back & forth like every week in Dec/Jan.

Yeah maybe more. Puts out around 750-1000psi I think. All i'll need is a water hookup and the ok from my dad and I'll do it no problem.

Guest TurboSedan

Yeah maybe more. Puts out around 750-1000psi I think. All i'll need is a water hookup and the ok from my dad and I'll do it no problem.

kick ass! water hookup and hoses won't be a problem; i can use the apartment complex's stuff (my brother is the maintenance manager). the car is parked in front of a fence that has electrical outlets as well (if needed). let me know & thanks Dan.

Yeah maybe more. Puts out around 750-1000psi I think

A car wash puts out a lot more than 1000psi. We have a 1750psi power washer at the detail shop I work at, and it doesn't have nearly as much force as the car wash does. If I had to guess, I would say a car wash is like 5000psi.

1000psi would be plenty for powerwashing it no doubt, it just isn't close to what a car wash is.

Shawn

Why would the wheel bearings go bad being towed without the cv axles ?

All the cv axle does in that hole is transmit power and excite the abs computer is applicable

As long as the strut, brake caliper,control arm and wheel is all bolted up its good to go as fast as you can make it go

Most carwashes are 4-6000 psi, my 6hp pressure washer is 6k psi.....it will remove paint and crease thin sheetmetal when aimed into a pin spray.

Using hot water cuts thru grease faster, as does a cleaning agent

• 2 months later...
Guest TurboSedan

thank you VERY MUCH Dan for helping me get my engine bay powerwashed!! bigthumbsup.gif

Dan came over with his dad's cleaning van today (he owns a cleaning business) and i used the powerwasher to clean the hell out of the engine bay. the pressure was only 750psi i think, but since the water was a HOT 220' it cleaned everything VERY well. it turned out better than i would have hoped for at the carwash for sure. i used some Simple Green and a can of foamy engine bright (i owe you a can of that Dan lol) let it soak for awhile, and then blasted the heck out of everything. i also got my 16x8 GTP crosslace wheels nice and clean too. lots of pics to come soon in my 'Turbo 5-speed Cutlass project' thread in members rides section....

thank you VERY MUCH Dan for helping me get my engine bay powerwashed!! bigthumbsup.gif

Dan came over with his dad's cleaning van today (he owns a cleaning business) and i used the powerwasher to clean the hell out of the engine bay. the pressure was only 750psi i think, but since the water was a HOT 220' it cleaned everything VERY well. it turned out better than i would have hoped for at the carwash for sure. i used some Simple Green and a can of foamy engine bright (i owe you a can of that Dan lol) let it soak for awhile, and then blasted the heck out of everything. i also got my 16x8 GTP crosslace wheels nice and clean too. lots of pics to come soon in my 'Turbo 5-speed Cutlass project' thread in members rides section....

Those crosslaces look sweet on that sedan, man. I want to get a set of those for my SE. :!:

Guest TurboSedan
It was those damn plugs in the gtp that sucked. :lol:

yeah those were a pain in the ass! the wires were practically bonded to the old spark plugs....it took ALOT of pulling & cussing to get them off :? i don't know what's up with the rough running, i'm thinking either a wet connector from powerwashing, or we broke a spark plug wire when pulling them off :shrug:

It was those damn plugs in the gtp that sucked. :lol:

yeah those were a pain in the ass! the wires were practically bonded to the old spark plugs....it took ALOT of pulling & cussing to get them off :? i don't know what's up with the rough running, i'm thinking either a wet connector from powerwashing, or we broke a spark plug wire when pulling them off :shrug:

Hopefully I get it figured out tommorow! Found a new set of AC wires cheap on the net too. Free for some testing tommorow josh?

Guest TurboSedan
Free for some testing tommorow josh?

actually i'm going to Deadwood tomarrow for some gambling! believe it or not i've never really been there. i'm not sure what time i'm leaving tomarrow though...i'll PM you...