steering wheels on the 97+

no1kicker

I like the wheel found on the 01+ GP's. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with swapping them. Say go from a 98 one to one from an 01. Would it be just the wheel or would the whole column have to go with it. Also what about the airbag wires, and the wires for the radio controls?

Grab the steering wheel and the corresponding airbag, seeing as the 97-00 airbag won't fit on the 01-03 wheel.

The clockspring should be the same (and it houses the airbag and steering wheel control wires.)

The whole thing should be Plug-N-Play...

So just the wheel/airbag assy? That's good to hear. Cause I don't see too many 01 and up for sale around here!

You think the wheel controls are plug and play also?

So just the wheel/airbag assy? That's good to hear. Cause I don't see too many 01 and up for sale around here!

You think the wheel controls are plug and play also?

Are you planning on putting an 01 wheel on a 98 GP? (Sorry, your sig says you have a 91 TA and a 90 STE so that's why I was wondering.) An 01 wheel will bolt up correctly to any GM column, but you won't get the steering wheel controls to work on the 90 STE.

Not too sure if you could get the controls to work on the 91 TA, but it should be easier to adapt it to the TA (assuming it has an airbag) than the STE. I would imagine that it'd be as simple as changing the clockspring if the TA doesn't have steering wheel controls. If it already does, then there's a good chance the 01 GP wheel will be plug-n-play.

Assuming this is going on the 91 TA, you might want to get the clockspring also when you buy the wheel and airbag just to be on the safe side. I'm sure the connectors for the airbag under the dash will be the same (GM uses fairly standardized CPA connectors for the airbags.)

Well, this would go on a newer GP, say 99. I like the 01+ wheel better. And I'm looking at some newer GP's around here. I'm also thinking about a 94ish firebird wheel for my TA eventually.

Okay then, I can't be exactly 100% sure that the airbag and steering wheel controls would be plug-n-play since I've had neither a 97-00 or a 01-03 GP wheel off before, but I'm at least 99% sure that it would be plug-n-play knowing GM. Seeing as it was only a steering wheel/airbag change and nothing else, it shouldn't be any different than me swapping around my Regal's steering wheel and airbag for my Grand Prix's. Both have the same connectors for the steering wheel controls and airbag.

I'd be willing to bet that an 01-03 GP wheel, airbag, and steering wheel controls would be plug-n-play with both of my 95's.