Shift Indicator

gpse_97

hey gang,

my dads shift\gear indicator in his '91 Buick LeSabre wont move anymore, it just stuck in P. So it makes it frustrating for the old man to know what gear he is in. IS this controled by a cable or something, and how do I fix this.

thanks alot.

Shaun

on a '93 CS, it is cable controlled, and the adjustment mechanism is found under the cluster. i'm not sure about that car.

i'd take the dash apart and look, hopefully there's a removable panel under the cluster where the steering column meets so you don't have to take the whole dash apart.

Well, I had a 92 LeSabre and the gear indicator was cable driven. The cable clipped onto the bottom of the steering column around the sleeve that rotates when you move the shifter (it was clipped on the very back of the sleeve, almost undetectable unless you were really looking for it.)

You might want to locate the cable first and tug on it to see if the indicator actually moves. It is spring loaded so it will snap back into park when you release tension on it. If it doesn't move the indicator, you might want to take the cluster out (and apart) to examine the indicator.

Sorry, I have no pics of where the cable connects to the column. It was three years ago when I swapped clusters on that old LeSabre (and had to remove the cable from the column) and I got rid of the car a year ago...

Well, I had a 92 LeSabre and the gear indicator was cable driven. The cable clipped onto the bottom of the steering column around the sleeve that rotates when you move the shifter (it was clipped on the very back of the sleeve, almost undetectable unless you were really looking for it.)

You might want to locate the cable first and tug on it to see if the indicator actually moves. It is spring loaded so it will snap back into park when you release tension on it. If it doesn't move the indicator, you might want to take the cluster out (and apart) to examine the indicator.

Sorry, I have no pics of where the cable connects to the column. It was three years ago when I swapped clusters on that old LeSabre (and had to remove the cable from the column) and I got rid of the car a year ago...

thanks I'll be sure to look for it.

How do I disassemble the dash to get to this cable.

Thanks.

Well on the 92, I just removed the trim (or bezel or whatever it's called) around the instrument cluster (on the 92's, the bezel went the whole length of the dash) and the under-dash trim panel. After you remove the bezel and trim panel, you should be able to see where it runs from the cluster to the column. The cable on the 92 was thin, about the thickness of fishing line, and the clip slid right onto the end of the column (the "bowl" part that the shift lever is attached to.) IIRC, the cable wrapped around the top of the "bowl" (clockwise) and clipped onto the bottom of it.

I know the 91's dash isn't identical to the redesigned 92's, but there shouldn't be too much of a radical departure between the 2...