Rear speakers question

Uniquedreamz

I'm sure i'm the 10000th guy to ask but is there anything special to keep in mind when upgrading the rear 6X9 speakers on a w-body with the optional base boost???

as far as wiring's concerned, you'll have 4 wires going to each 6x9. You obviously want the two for the full sound, not just bass. It's tough finding adapters for these plugs, but if you're just going to cut the plug off and strip the end of the wire, then you have nothing to worry about. The wires you'll want to use will be brown - and yellow+ for the left speaker, and light blue+ and dark blue- for the right speaker.

as far as wiring's concerned, you'll have 4 wires going to each 6x9. You obviously want the two for the full sound, not just bass. It's tough finding adapters for these plugs, but if you're just going to cut the plug off and strip the end of the wire, then you have nothing to worry about. The wires you'll want to use will be brown - and yellow+ for the left speaker, and light blue+ and dark blue- for the right speaker.

Is that only for the premium sound packages? All the cars I've done have only had two wires for each speaker. None of them have had the 'premium sound'.

that's for the dual-coil 6x9's for GM's with either a separate bass controller (which is basically just a gain control for the amp), or "premium sound" which has a separate amp powering the bass coils, but no separate bass controller.

wern't you the one who put a wing and dual fartcans on a CS sedan? :lol:

not that it really matters with respect to his question, but he is the one with the ~270whp DOHC that has ~170,000 Kms on it :lol:

Uniquedreamz....take Brian P's information and use it and you should be all set...

wern't you the one who put a wing and dual fartcans on a CS sedan? :lol:

not that it really matters with respect to his question, but he is the one with the ~270whp DOHC that has ~170,000 Kms on it :lol:

Uniquedreamz....take Brian P's information and use it and you should be all set...

i guess you never heard about my 271 whp 3.1.....

Yes I am, and yes the wing and "fart cans" are still on it. As for power (and thanks again to all the w-body helpers) I know my car doesn't have 270whp. According to y'all it was rated at 240 from the factory but the reality is that mine only has about 98whp, tops out at 114kmh and can be outrun but everything on this board including the 2.8l models. Tis ok though......It's mine not yours so why sweat it.

Geeze...2yrs a full appology for my miss-informed stupidity, several posts of rebuttle and still theres guys who are stuck on that. If it makes ya feel better (hope not ) i also added a full body graphic of a demon with ricer flames and a functioning hood scoop from a '91 turbo intercooled chev. So with the air ram probably only 96whp now. Not to worry...still too slow for all the rest of ya to worry over.

Back to my actual question......do I need to buy speakers with 4 plugs or will changing the speakers to regular 2 plug basically eliminate the use of the base gain?? I'd check the speaker back for conections but my cars being painted (powdercoated) and i don't have access at this time

Back to my actual question......do I need to buy speakers with 4 plugs or will changing the speakers to regular 2 plug basically eliminate the use of the base gain??

your original question was already answered by Brian P

..... but in response to your new question, i have never seen aftermarket full range speakers with 4 plugs.....

If you think my assumed power was out of whack you L-67 guys should chat with the dude at OK Tire in Wetaskiwin. :lol: He tells me his 3.8SC is pushing WELL over 400whp and has run under 10 sec 1/4 miles every time he's raced. I tried to tell him that even with several grand in upgrades he's out of it but .....well....y'know those L-67 guys. I wanted to race 'em but you guys already told me that i'd lose to a well tuned 2.8L so I figured why bother :roll:

so if I hook those wires to the new speakers would the remaining 4 wires be suitable as a sub-woofer feed or do they just dead end?

You could power two small woofers if you wanted to. It's output from the small factory amp, but it is doable. Or use it as speaker level inputs for a bigger amp and you can control loudness by the gain control on the dash. This is what I was planning on doing to my '89 Cutlass before I killed it.

so if I hook those wires to the new speakers would the remaining 4 wires be suitable as a sub-woofer feed or do they just dead end?

I wouldn't hook them up to a sub....if I wanted a sub, I would properly run an amplifier and hook a sub up correctly..

....if you get the cars actual wiring diagram, I would guess that you should be able to use the "Performance Sound" slider with the amp if you wanted to go through the hassle...

man i am sick of all the haters. I dont really care what his car is rated at. Like he said he doesnt care what you think. And what does this have to do with Rear Speakers?

GrimZ34: perhaps u should read up some of his old posts. seeing as u joined all of 6 days ago

well it actually started with someone making a point of mentioning it. Again, I don't really care, the cutty is my everyday car and when I get an asshole in a GTP or a L-67 I can't outrun i say good for him. I know i kick the fuck out of far more other w-bodies and other cars when I am silly enought to race so y'all can have whatever opinion of my car you choose.

I started this cutty SOLELY to piss off the ricer crowd now I use my Nissan Maxima (2004) to hang with them and use the cutty to hunt other w-body guys. I will win some, I will lose some. I know that unless it's supercharged or a 5-speed , I can hold my own just fine. Outside that, y'all can just go fuck a stump.....I know my car is what "I" want to drive and if you don't like it, don't fuckin look. Better yet just put up and shut up and tell me where ya want to race, win or lose I still come out on top 'cause I don't have to try and slam other w-owners to make me or my ride look better. There's a whole whack of fugly slow assed broken w-bodies on this site, hear anyone harpin....no. I would hope all of us take pride in our ride and damned what other people think of it. I never came here for a fashion show, beauty pageant or pissin contest. I thought (incorrectly I see) that this was a forum for all w-body owners to meet and exchange thoughts and help one another. I asked 1 question based on the info I had (re: 270whp) and a year later there's goofs who don't even drive w-body anymore still trying to get their licks in.

There are some really cool folk on here but when you get newbies and guys who've traded their cutties for a truck and guys who bought fords 'cause their cutty was too slow making coments, reminds me this site is nothing but a buddy club fashion show. I just want info....not to be part of the "my w-body's nicer than yours" club.

So y'all can stuff your site and I'll get my info from some guy who knows dick about these cars. I'd rather be missinformed than put up with some 19yr old kid lecturing me on car appearance or a guy who lives 4000 miles away telling me he knows EVERYTHING about my car and how his 3.1 would "walk" all over me just cause my 3.4 is the only slow one on this site. Funny that all the other DOHC cars get along just fine, but if i post that I outran a '84 Reliant wagon there is 500 assholes wanting video and signed witness statements since you've all decided that my 3.4 is only doing about 115whp. Again I say, tell me where to be, I'll race anybody on this fuckin site, win or lose at least you'll have the str8 answer. I like my car, most people I know like my car. Everyone I know (incl me) hate the wing but i don't care i drive the fuckin car not the wing. I got the "Fartcan" line again too, mine are fartcans but the dozen or so other guys here who have similar pipes but only 4" outlets are ok :roll:

I get it ok....I got labelled soon as I made my first post here. I came in thinking that the info I had was correct and was slammed by every w-body fuck that ever uttered the word car. I recinded, appologized, even took the info you guys gave me and was content. Hell I even tried to post and be part of the group. You fucks just can't do that, I ask a speaker question , over a year after the fall-out, and still some fuck has to chime in. "oh he's the guy with the 270whp" "oh he put a wing on a cutty" "he's got fartcans"

IT'S MY CAR NOT YOURS SO FUCK OFF AND DIE WHILE DRIVING YOUR WONDERFUL W-BODY OK :D

Oh and on the 240 i stated that was my error, I was thinking of the dyno run I did that day in my Nissan . Sorry

ok...thats interesting...:roll: ...anywayz...back to your speaker question... if your car has 4 wires going to each speaker...then what you could probably do is get some speakers like the INFINITY KAPPA 6x9's for instance that come with a crossover...they have 4 plugs so you could just plug the ones for the bass into the bass side of the speakers...and the other ones into the high side...then you could still use your factory amp which should have enough power to make the speakers sound good... :? ...thats just a thought...

well, the only way you're going to get useful info on this site is talk to the ~15% of people who know what they're talking about, and ignore the others. I should have locked this after your question was answered, but, stupid me for not doing it till now.