Keyless Entry, Remote Start

BimmerJr87

If you've never done any type of wiring in your car before, or don't have a factory service manual, I don't know if I'd recommend doing it yourself. Then again, I probably wouldn't trust a shop to do it either :shrug: As a guess, you'd probably have to splice into no fewer than 10-15 wires.. I don't know though, I've never installed one.

If you want to take it on I can give you all the wire colors you need to tie into, and the general locations.

I need to have you put one in my new GP. It has SOMETHING in it now, but I'll be damned if it works. I want a 2 way Astrostart. You should get me the complete price on that.

Dude, I can hook you up with the brand spanking new astro. It's still 2 way but uses led's to tell you if it's running, locked, etc. I can get you the older 2 way with screen for a little more. Let me look up the diagrams for it for an exact price, but yeah I can do it. We can also look at the one in there, maybe you just need a new hoodswitch or something.

bimmer, As for how hard it is to hook it up, you need to hook a lot of wires up under the steering column, one behind the headlight switch, 2 or 3 at the drivers kick, and one on the ign. module. It's really not that hard.

that pretty much looks like what i want for my car...then after i thought about it...i figured it'd prolly be a bitch to wire, and i really didnt want some shop hackin the shit outta my car...so i decided to hold off for a bit....BUT, if you decide to take that on yourself...let me know how it turns out and how hard it is... :wink:

Dude, I can hook you up with the brand spanking new astro. It's still 2 way but uses led's to tell you if it's running, locked, etc. I can get you the older 2 way with screen for a little more. Let me look up the diagrams for it for an exact price, but yeah I can do it. We can also look at the one in there, maybe you just need a new hoodswitch or something.

I want the screen type. The LED ones look odd. I wonder if the one in there is even hooked up for remote start.. the keyless works fine.. nothing else responds. I want the 2-way anyway, just hoping it doesn't make it more of a pain in the ass to wire in, considering one is already present. Drop me a line with a price! Thanks!

have you tried all of sorts of key combos on the remote? Some systems have a remote that isn't labeled for remote start. The one in my fiancee's old 97 GPGT was an Avital Avistart 4200, and you had to hold down the 2 lower buttons on the remote for 3 seconds for it to engage the remote start.

She liked that system, and I'm trying to find another avistart for her TGP.

Justin, did u install one urself, how long did it take, and where did you have to mount everything. I think im gonna buy the system this week possibly if I have enough money

My one friend works at a detail shop that installs alarms and other stuff, the'll be willing to do it. I'm just poor and lookin for the cheapest way to do this LOL. Thats y ill prolly buy it off ebay

I've never heard good things about those Bulldog systems. Not so much about the reliability of them... more so about the range. Most ppl that have them have to walk up to the car and basically point the remote at the dash just to get it to respond. The best thing a remote starter should have, IMO, would be range.

I installed a Bulldog RKE in my GP, and am very impressed with the range. I can zap the locks or trunk from half a block away. Now that might not sound too impressive if "the other guys" have a 1/4 mile range, but it's better than the range on my Regal's factory RKE (which you have to be right next to the car to get it to respond) and the range on the DEI remote start in my wife's Lumina (not quite as bad as the Regal's, but not as good as the GP's range...)

I would imagine you could increase the range of the Bulldog unit by splicing in an 8 foot length of wire on the end of the "antenna" wire and stringing it up the A-Pillar, underneath the headliner, back towards the trunk :shrug: .

I wonder if the Bulldog PNP harness can be adapted to be used with another brand of alarm/RKE/remote start??? Might be worth it to just buy one of their harnesses and dissect it to see if it's possible. I'd rather hack one of those apart than hack the factory harness to pieces...

I installed a Bulldog RKE in my GP, and am very impressed with the range. I can zap the locks or trunk from half a block away. Now that might not sound too impressive if "the other guys" have a 1/4 mile range, but it's better than the range on my Regal's factory RKE (which you have to be right next to the car to get it to respond) and the range on the DEI remote start in my wife's Lumina (not quite as bad as the Regal's, but not as good as the GP's range...)

I would imagine you could increase the range of the Bulldog unit by splicing in an 8 foot length of wire on the end of the "antenna" wire and stringing it up the A-Pillar, underneath the headliner, back towards the trunk :shrug: .

I wonder if the Bulldog PNP harness can be adapted to be used with another brand of alarm/RKE/remote start??? Might be worth it to just buy one of their harnesses and dissect it to see if it's possible. I'd rather hack one of those apart than hack the factory harness to pieces...

I've always had, along with my entire family/friends, AstroStart and I haven't heard a single complain. I decided to change things up and get a DEI in my old GP. I haven't had good luck with it. I don't know if it was the installer or the unit itself, but the range sucked and I've had to have it repaired under warranty 4 times in the past 3 years. I don't think I'll give them another chance. AstroStart is what I will stand by.