Help quick! turn signal broke

cutsup1996

My wife just got a 96 grand prix, I'm a little jealous, it's in better shape than my 96 cutty. Anyway last night we were driving and her turn signal stopped working. The wiper part works and the cruise works, but neither left or right blinker works. What the hell do I do. I need to fix this fast, she has no blinkers! And this friday we're going to the beach, I gotta get this fixed. What do I need to get, where do I need to get it and can I do it? Thanks for any advice guys.

no, all bulbs are fine and one fuse I don't think only controls that. I know it's the turn signal unit thing. Even mine in my cutty is "kinda" broke. Mine won't work if u push it past the click, but if you hold it right before the click it works, for left and right, but hers she clicked it and nothing, both sides.

Replace the flasher. It's a round "can" about an inch tall and the diameter of a quarter mounted under the dash next to the steering column. The one for the turn signals is near the firewall, and the one for the hazzards is on the left of the column...

no, all bulbs are fine and one fuse I don't think only controls that. I know it's the turn signal unit thing. Even mine in my cutty is "kinda" broke. Mine won't work if u push it past the click, but if you hold it right before the click it works, for left and right, but hers she clicked it and nothing, both sides.
Your "hold it there before the click" means that the turn signal switch is shot. How are your brake lights? Do the left and right lights not work, but the high-mount light does? That is another symptom of a bad signal switch.

How confident are you in tearing your steering column apart? If you'd like to save some money by replacing the switch yourself, click on the link below:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ace69/column/94upsignal.htm

Any other questions, feel free to ask...

damn I don't have time to do a column tear down like that, plus I dunno if I could. I pray it's the "can" thing u speak of. where can I get one of those, what exactly is it called, and about how much is it? And yeah all three of my brake lights work in the cutty, I am just gonna leave mine until that doesn't work, been doin' it for quite some time now that way so I am not botherin' with mine, but hers has to be fixed. thanks again

damn I don't have time to do a column tear down like that, plus I dunno if I could. I pray it's the "can" thing u speak of. where can I get one of those, what exactly is it called, and about how much is it? And yeah all three of my brake lights work in the cutty, I am just gonna leave mine until that doesn't work, been doin' it for quite some time now that way so I am not botherin' with mine, but hers has to be fixed. thanks again

Autozone, Napa, any parts store. It's a flasher. It's like $5. From what I understand, you will want to get the electronic one. Supposidly its better.

Go to any auto parts store (or you could even try Wal-Mart) and look for a "Turn Signal Flasher." The one you need has 2 prongs on it. The cheap, thermal flasher only costs a couple of bucks, but the electronic flasher is around ten bucks. The electronic flasher is definitely the way to go. It is not affected by temperature, is more reliable, and lasts longer than the cheap thermal flasher...

Go to any auto parts store (or you could even try Wal-Mart) and look for a "Turn Signal Flasher." The one you need has 2 prongs on it. The cheap, thermal flasher only costs a couple of bucks, but the electronic flasher is around ten bucks. The electronic flasher is definitely the way to go. It is not affected by temperature, is more reliable, and lasts longer than the cheap thermal flasher...

Which reminds me, I need to pick one up too. When its cold, mine is slooowwww....

I just got a elect. flasher yesterday for my '92 gp. All signals don't work, but cruise and hi-beams do. I just took of the "under dash" panel and was looking for the flasher so I could replace it. Well, I can't see any canister or any hint of a flasher. Could someone point me in the right direction. Is it ON the firewall? ON the column? I was looking where I thought it would be, but there's just a vent hose. If anyone can help, thanks.

I just got a elect. flasher yesterday for my '92 gp. All signals don't work, but cruise and hi-beams do. I just took of the "under dash" panel and was looking for the flasher so I could replace it. Well, I can't see any canister or any hint of a flasher. Could someone point me in the right direction. Is it ON the firewall? ON the column? I was looking where I thought it would be, but there's just a vent hose. If anyone can help, thanks.
It's near the firewall up by the column. You can't miss it. I think it was digitaloutsider who had a pic up a while back showing the flasher's location. Might want to hit him up in a PM or do a search...

Are you sure you didn't change the hazzard flasher by mistake? The hazzard flasher is easily accesible (it's underneath the headlight switch) and the turn signal flasher is way up under the dash. Check to see if the hazzards work.

If neither the signals or hazzards work after installing new flashers, and you're sure all the fuses are good, then it's time to change out the signal switch. Need instructions? Click on the "How-To" link in my sig...