Cold trip preparations

SmoothSteve3

I'm gonna be taking our families 94 Buick Regal Custom (3800 series I) to Colorado here towards the end of December. Its over a 1000 mile round trip, and its gonna be cold as all hell where I'm staying. Any suggesstions as to how I should "prep" it in the next week or two? Thanks!

-SmoothSteve

Well if you want to be absolutely safe, get a new battery and battery cables. Make sure the starter and alternator are in good shape. Throw in a new set of new Delco sparkplugs. Change all fluids (oil, tranny fluid, and especially the coolant.) Check the treads of your tires. If they're worn down, then I'd suggest a complete set of 4 new tires. You might also want to buy one of those "magnet type" heaters that slaps on to the bottom of the oil pan if its going to be below zero so you can keep the oil warm overnight...

Have an "emergency kit" in the trunk. Include booster cables, road flares, a blanket, candles, a coffee can, some snacks, a small shovel, and a some kitty litter for traction. Also make sure you pack a hat, gloves and boots in case you're stranded out in the snow...

Maybe construct or buy some type of winter front so the engnine is gets warm enough to have warm air from the heater. Anything will do, just to keep the wind chill and such down inside the engine comparetment, but if you notice you are running to hot you may want to take the winter front off.

Most of all don't abuse anything to hard in the cold because it is more likely to break..

- Jeff L.

Buy one of those roadside emergency kits from wal-mart or somewhere. They are like $20 and come with tons of stuff. Extra clothes and blankets, canned food, can opener, bottled water is also a good idea.