Ridding myself of the dreaded WIND NOISE!?

gmrulz4u

Since I've been driving my 89 Cutlass on the highway quite a bit lately, I've realized I can no longer stand the damn, high pitched, extremely annoying wind noise that is coming from the passenger side window!! The drivers side is tolerable at this point, but I like to seal them both-up competely and get rid of the whistling once and for all.

I realize that finding EXACTLY where it's coming from is the hard part, but once that is done, what is the best and cheapest method of fixing it? Does GM even sell window seals for my car anymore? Do places like Canadian Tire or NAPA sell universal repair kits for the seals?

Any help or suggestions at all?

THANKS AGAIN!:)

:shock: OMG...someone else has the same annoying wind noise that i have...i can't figure out where its coming from, but it started in the passenger side, and has now spread to the drivers and passenger sides...i also need help figuring out what the hell to do to stop it... :willynilly:

wow...i got it too in my GTP when its cold outside and i go above 80 mph. however, i know where it is coming from (on the door where it meets up with the A pillar). my door in that spot has a dent in it. just need to get unlazy to get the tiny dent out.

my GP makes the same freakin noise... after like 75 mph, people ask what the hell that noise is.

:lol: ...this is sad...i know that same feeling...BUT, mine is @ like 65-70mph...HELP!!! :lol:

I've heard if you put oil on the weatherstripping it helps to calm it down some.

I use multi purpose spray with silicone in it. My stuff is actually called "silicone lubricant" and it's stuff I stole from the Nissan dealership. However, any silicone lubricant will work.

The silicone softens up the rubber seals, which helps them to conform to the shape of the door better. Ultimately giving the door a better seal.

Not so sure that it works all that great, but it does help keep the door from sticking shut. ( A problem many of the 2 door W guys with broken door handles know well enough.)

don't spray anything on it yet... i saw a feature on horsepower tv on how to fix this exact problem. There are a couple ways to find the exact location of the leak.

#1 fold a dollar bill in half. roll down your window and close the door on the bill so that it's sandwiched between the car and the weatherstripping. move the bill all around the door looking for spots where the bill is loose and easier to move around.

#2 get a stethascope without the little metal thing on the end. not sure what the official name for that is, but the show said you could get them from an autoparts store. roll up all your windows start your car and put the blower on max. then move the end of the stethascope around your door and you'll be able to hear when you get to where the leaks are.

#3 if you know someone with a fog machine, put that in your car, with the blower on max, and you'll be able to see where the fog is escaping out of the door.

For all 3 cases the fix is the same, you have to get some weatherstripping repair stuff from an autoparts store... it looks like just a 2 inch long skinny piece of foam rubber. once you've marked where it's leaking, you put the repair piece behind the weatherstripping to build it up forming a tighter seal. This is of course assuming that your weatherstripping is still in tact and connected to the car.

don't spray anything on it yet... i saw a feature on horsepower tv on how to fix this exact problem. There are a couple ways to find the exact location of the leak.

#1 fold a dollar bill in half. roll down your window and close the door on the bill so that it's sandwiched between the car and the weatherstripping. move the bill all around the door looking for spots where the bill is loose and easier to move around.

#2 get a stethascope without the little metal thing on the end. not sure what the official name for that is, but the show said you could get them from an autoparts store. roll up all your windows start your car and put the blower on max. then move the end of the stethascope around your door and you'll be able to hear when you get to where the leaks are.

#3 if you know someone with a fog machine, put that in your car, with the blower on max, and you'll be able to see where the fog is escaping out of the door.

For all 3 cases the fix is the same, you have to get some weatherstripping repair stuff from an autoparts store... it looks like just a 2 inch long skinny piece of foam rubber. once you've marked where it's leaking, you put the repair piece behind the weatherstripping to build it up forming a tighter seal. This is of course assuming that your weatherstripping is still in tact and connected to the car.

interesting read....good write up and thanks!

if you turn your fans on defrost or anything it helps preasureize the cabin.

other then that.. thry some armoal on the weatherstripping and consider padding underneath it in places where its flat

All , you cars are different obviously , but , when it happened to me , it was on the drivers side. Much easier to locate and fix. For me... some of the clear plastic had pulled away from the black molding that goes around the windsheild. At speed, that plastic sounded like a whistle.

Just something you can check on your cars...... :wink: