Nzyme

I posted this on mymonte... but no one responded :cry:

So, hopefully someone here can help.

I was originally reluctant to post this because of two reasons... I'm scared what the problem may be, and I kinda like the new sound my exhaust makes.

Anyway, here's the story. I was driving home one night(one dark night), and decided to take a shortcut down a dirt road. Well.. dirt road turned into a dead end. As I was slowly backing up, I felt a slight jerk, and realized I had backed into the dirt embankment. I eventually turned the car around and as I drove off, I noticed my exhaust sounded MUCH deeper, a low rumbling sound. At first I thought sh*t.. but then I thought, kick ass, that sounds awesome. I stopped the car under a light post, and noticed a little dirt on my bumper, but the muffler was clean... I looked for damage, but saw nothing.

The next day I decided to look at the underbody. I saw nothing at all. The muffler was fine, and there was just a little dirt left on the bumper. I assumed that maybe a little dirt went into the muffler, and hoped it wouldn't affect anything. Now, a week later, I'm starting to worry if this is bad for my car, and if I should get it checked out. I'm not a very handy guy, so don't tell me to take apart the muffler.

My question is, should I be worried? Should I get it checked out? What could be the problem? Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

http://tinyurl.com/5ltcb

Here's an audio clip of me just reving the engine in park(It may or may not help the diagnosis). If you want me to record anything else, just let me know, and I'll get out there and record it. Also note that the high pitched humming at the beginning is just my recorder's HD winding up.

well...first off, is the loud noise all coming out from the back of the car?!...maybe you pushed the whole exhaust forward and broke/cracked a manifold, or the crossover pipe...is the exhaust rusted!?...maybe there's a hole in it somewhere...or maybe you kinked the pipe and it now has more backpressure...could be lotz of different things...never really heard of just getting dirt in the exhaust and messing it up!? :?

I'm pretty sure all that sound is coming out of the back of the car, but I could never really pinpoint from where. Someone else mentioned that it could be a cracked baffling inside the muffler, causing it to sound like that.

Terry, all those possible problems you explained... are any of those serious problems? It's the holiday season, and I'm low on $$, so if I don't have to get it fixed, I'd rather wait a few months.

well...i'm not sure how serious it could be...but, if the car runs fine...i don't think its gonna harm the engine...on the other hand..if you have an exhaust leak under the car somewhere it could let carbon monoxide into the passenger compartment and thats not good...