Turbo Mounting Gasket?

joberlee

I have a possibly stupid question. Is there supposed to be a gasket of any kind between the crossover and the turbo inlet?

I just bought my TGP and am finishing an engine swap started by the previous owner. Figured out most of it, but it's great to have this forum for questions when needed.

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks for the info, It looked like a no gasket situation, but it's always good to double check. When you've put these together did you mount the crossover first and then the add the turbo or install as an assembly.

Thanks again,

Joe

I always install the x-over first, tighten it down because the rear flange nuts can be difficult to do with the turbo in place. Then install the turbo to the x-over, then install the bolts on the downpipe/turbo connection last. I use a prybar to align the bolt holes when doing the downpipe. Some of them can be hard to get to start threading.

Any machine shop can resurface the mating surfaces on the turbo if you think they are going to leak, but gaskets are usually not needed.

Also, to add to what was said above. I would go out and buy some Socket Head Cap Screws(SHCS) to replace the Hex Heads that were in the downpipe. The Hex Heads can be a pain the but to put in/take out because they are so close to the downpipe that a socket doesn't really fit on them. I would go buy some M8(IIRC) stainless-steel SHCS to use as they are much easier to install/remove. I have these on both my TGP and my turbo Lumina and they work great. 8)

http://www.mcmaster.com/library/1/1023125/91292A080L.GIF

Great info, thanks a lot. While i'm at it, I seem to be missing a sensor? off of my transmission. It goes in with one bolt directly under the turbo. I think I found the wiring harness for it, but I'm not sure. Speed sensor maybe? One of the guys that started this project didn't know quite what he was doing, so anything is possible.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

• 2 months later...
Guest TurboSedan
I would go buy some M8(IIRC) stainless-steel SHCS to use as they are much easier to install/remove. I have these on both my TGP and my turbo Lumina and they work great. 8)

http://www.mcmaster.com/library/1/1023125/91292A080L.GIF

great info thank you :)

skalor, was McMaster-Carr PN# 91292A080 exactly what you used? i am going to be ordering these ASAP.

thanks

I just got them from my work as we a huge wall of hardware. That's a stainless steel M8 SHCS that is 18mm long. That would make it around 3/4" long from the bottom of the head. I think that sounds about right to me. The flange is about 3/8" thick so that would leave about 3/8" to be threaded in to the turbine housing.

I just used those SHCS for the downpipe, and I used regular old HHCS for inlet flange on the x-over.

Guest TurboSedan

I just used those SHCS for the downpipe, and I used regular old HHCS for inlet flange on the x-over.

skalor, i'm ordering these bolts tomarrow but i have a couple questions...

- the bolts that are used to attatch the downpipe to the turbine....are they all the same length? and is 18mm length right?

- did you use any washers on the SHCS? the head on those just seems a little small....

TIA

I didn't use any washers, and I used all the same length bolts. I can't really say about the length as I don't have my turbo off at the moment. I think 18mm sounds about right as I said above...the downpipe flange is 3/8" so that would leave about 3/8" of thread engagement. You can order some longer ones. Maybe Jeff M. can chime in on the length he uses when he sends out his x-overs. I have SHCS on my TGP and the turbo Lumina the Dbtk2 has, although I only put steel ones in the Lumina. :oops:

I am back! The stock ones have a 25mm UHL, and use a weaker A2-70 Metal Mixture, I get the much better A4-80 for the ones that go with my pipes (same for the nuts). I also like the 25mm lenght since it gives you more threads to tighten things up with, and as important, allows a few threads to be engaged with one or two bolts as you get them all started before you start getting things tight which WILL make bolt hole alignment a bitch if not all bolts are started first!!

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan
The stock ones have a 25mm UHL, and use a weaker A2-70 Metal Mixture, I get the much better A4-80 for the ones that go with my pipes (same for the nuts). I also like the 25mm lenght since it gives you more threads to tighten things up with, and as important, allows a few threads to be engaged with one or two bolts as you get them all started before you start getting things tight which WILL make bolt hole alignment a bitch if not all bolts are started first!!

Jeff M

i got the A4 80 SS bolts too. here are some pics of the SHCS & HHCS i got yesterday. the SHCS is on the left (these are for the downpipe) a stock bolt is in the middle, and the HHCS is on the right (for the crossover flange):

DSC01866.JPG

bolt length 25mm:

http://www.turbosedan.com/cutlass/DSC01869.JPG

i ended up using 4 SHCS on the dowpipe and one HHCS. the 6mm hex drive tool i was using just couldn't get into place on one of the bolts so i used a 13mm end wrench and a HHCS instead. for the crossover flange i just used 4 HHCS. the only minor downside was that the SHCS were only available in packs of 10 but the HHCS were only available in packs of 25. it cost almost $26 + shipping from McMaster-Carr. still though, it didn't cost that much and the bolts are stronger than stock. and i have a few extra bolts i guess :)