Today was a slightly sad day

supreme_style21

After being in the shop for a few days, countless new parts, sensors, and tests, the problem I've been having has not yet been solved. In fact, it continues to slowly get worse. My ol' man and I have made the decision to either sell it to a salvage yard or attempt to trade it in. I've always been excited to get into a new car, but when it actually comes down to the wire, I dread it. I don't love the car, but I'm somehow attached to it. Its lived a healthy 104,000 miles and I expected plenty more, but the way it looks, by this weekend, I will no longer be a w-body owner.

is this one of those shops that actually diagnoses / troubleshoots the problem or are they just throwing money at it hopeing it will go away?

The problems I've got posted in the powertrain section.. its a lot of typing I really don't feel like re-doing.

No the shop really went through everything. I know the guys that did it all. They had a few ideas, of which I approved and we had the parts installed.. didn't fix it. The mech. basically said as of now, its a parts game... throw shit at it and hope it works. I said fine.. I get parts nearly at cost, so I was cool with that. Installed the next most logical items. None of which solved the problem. You can imagine my frustration as I backed it out of the shop and started across the parking lot, only to have it start stumbling. Oh well.. I guess one has to know when to simply cut the losses and move on.

on one hand yes it makes sense, the other it is stupid. the car is young with only 104k, and it still has value so selling it to a scrap yard for next to nothing don't make sense, and you know any dealer will use that to screw you to their biggest advantage. so you are looseing alot more then you'd be puting into it for fixing it. so if anything sit down and figgure it out for yourself, and i'll check the posts in powertrain myself. but at least fix it so you can sell it for some decent coin.

and honestly if a shop could not figgure out a problem with a 3.1/3100, i'd take my car elsewhere.

It's been to several shops. I've received the same results from all of them... puzzled looks. I've dropped almost a grand into it over the past month and the problem still isn't solved. Almost everything, minus the engine itself and the wiring has been replaced. I know I'm losing money, but the rope has to be cut at some point.. this is that point. I'm taking the brand new tires off of it, removing the HUD/DIC, throwing the old sensors back into it, and trading it as-is. I've put more than half the value of the car back into it and the problem is still there.. the car is done for.. I'm out of money, out of patience, and out of time. I'm not taking out a loan to fix it. I'll take out a loan for a new car.

It has been posted on several forums and checked by many mechanics.. the results are all the same. After I explained all that has been done to the last guy and all that has been done to it, he basically said to get rid of it ASAP before it gets worse. I know the car is young.. sad to admit it, but it breaks my heart to scrap it, but tonight was the final straw.. the last shop.. the absolute last dollar.

The problems I've got posted in the powertrain section.. its a lot of typing I really don't feel like re-doing.

I feel for you man. Mom decided to say goodbye to her H-body Oldsmobile Eighty Eight (1990) today and replace it with a 2004 Honda Accord. It was almost a moment of sadness for me, as I was with her the day she test drove it on the lot (still was in elementary school back then, maybe grade 5 or 6), and while I didn't exactly enjoy listening to her never-ending complaints of brake and alignment problems (some of which I feel were the result of poor quality workmanship and parts used during repairs), I almost have a feeling of sadness that its finally gone, probably sitting on a used car lot, waiting for some teenaged love.

290,000km isn't that bad for a car of its era and design in Canada. Especially since it spent its entire life being operated primarly on 3km trips, probably over 1000 times a year, in a small city. That's over 15,000 cycles, not bad for the original engine, gaskets, coolant, transmission and transmission fluid and starter among other components.

Absolutely. This car isn't the sweetest thing around, but its been MORE than good to me. Its my second home.. maybe my first.. I spend more time in this jalopy than I do my own home. I dunno how the fuck I become so attached to this shit, but its going to be tough when those keys leave my hands. I started cleaning it out tonight. It was somehow depressing. I dunno... its just been so faithful and I feel like I'm giving up on it... its almost telling me "just one more part." But I've given it all that I have and thats all I can do. I just have to keep in mind that its a pile of metal.

Not sure on either count.. I haven't been able to find something I like. Kinda have my eye on a '98 GA GT with 60k on it.

As far as price, I honestly have no clue what its worth in its current condition. I guess I'd be happy if I saw a grand out of it. I dunno

Well, you probably wont see a grand out if it.. Its only a 94, and its not running right.. Good luck man, and whatever you do, stick with GM.. They'll never lket ya down.. Just SLOW ya down sometimes.. That's all.. Good luck man..

Mine has over 200k and I keep planning to get rid of it then never do. The anti-Loc brakes may be the final tally though. Over a month of driving it with nearly no brakes. Da*n GM and their ideas. And why does a 91 "custom" have anti-Loc anyway.

Good luck on the price.

Yes those have been replaced. As far as price, like I said, I have NO clue what its worth. I personally wouldn't pay jack shit for it.. nor would most of you on here. My best luck is to trade it off. It runs seemingly fine once the SES is on.. good enough to trade it.