Tinting

Carotop

Ok has anyone ever tinted their windows by themselves? Is it hard to do? I've seen some people that have done it themselves and it looks really crappy. I don't know if I should get it professionally done because it gets kinda expensive. Whats peoples opinions on this?

you could always get that cheap plastic shit that you cling to the window. it isn't that expensive to have your windows tinted, a buddy of mine got his car done for just over $100 i believe.

If you've never done it before take it in. The guy that owned my cutlass before did it himself and it looked shitty.

Yeah, and most of the stuff you buy at the store, will fade to that nasty purple in a year.

everyone i know that has tried doing this themself has done a crappy job. take it to a pro. shop around, and go to a place that gives you a lifetime warranty, so if it ever fades, cracks, peels.... they will replace it for free. this cost me about $175

250 seems really high...and, i tried tinting my windows on my old cutlass...takes alot of patience...and it really didnt look that good when i got done... :roll: ...the rear 1/4 windows looked SWEET...so, i decided to try the back window and really fucked it up... :lol: ...when i get ready to tint the windows on my new cutty, i'm having it done by a pro...there is a shop around here that will do a 2 door for $170...

I tinted all the side windows on my old Grand Am by myself back in the day. Wished I hadn't. The quarter windows were cake and looked awesome, but I had a shitload of bubbles and wrinkles in the front doors' windows. All in all it was a huge pain in the arse and the results were less than spectacular...

Take your car to Ziebart to get the windows tinted. They have some of the best material out there and do an excellent job. Be prepared to spend upwards of $275, though...

Well I don't know if I wanna pay that much. The one that is 250 has a lifetime warranty so I might do that once I get some money. The place I looked at is Sun Control up on Rice St.

i've seen tint jobs that tint right to the edge of the window, instead of leaving a small gap. looks much better.

carotop, $250 isn't bad if the tint has a lifetime warranty. i've been quoted that by two shops to tint 7 windows. it would be less but the CS' curved rear window drives up the price.

CS' are hard to tint, sedan or coupe.

I laugh at how much you guys are being quoted for getting your CS's tinted. I had my 88 done, all windows except for windshield for $160 CDN. I even thought that was high, however I realized I must of gotten an amazing deal because it seems nobody has been able to touch that price anywhere.

All dyed tint will turn purple. Sungard and 3M have a lot of dyed tints. All the cheap stuff you buy at auto parts stores and Walmart are dyed.

Metallized tint won't turn purple. MSC Performance films, SolarGard, Llumar, and specific 3M tints are metallized.

I recently paid $130 for 35%(legal limit) on the windshield, two front doors and the rear window. Also in the deal, I got 5% on the quarterpanels(no legal limit), and a lifetime warranty. Normally his tint jobs are about $100-$120, but I wanted some of the reflective green mirrored tint, which cost a little extra. I really like the way it came out, no bubbles!

Oh yea and the place I checked you can do whatever percentage of tint you want. I might go and see what kind of tint they use. I think legal for the windsheild is 20 here but I'm not sure if theres an illegal amount of tint for the rest of the car. Does anyone know what it is here in MN?

I've been thinking about the tint thing lately, but I dont know how good the local shops here in Buffalo are. Im sure it will be expensive to get a sedan done. I really hate the damn tint laws, because I would love to limo this baby all around.