electronic question

Rushman04

hey i have been looking into doing the motor swap for some time now. I got a 92 grand prix with a 3.1 na in it. Iam not sure of what electrical things i need. do i need a new harness and ecm?

Maybe a turbo 3.1 since it's in the TGP section? we'll probably need more info than we got though.

Alright you newbie :lol: :D (just shaking on ya) Us old boys know better than to ask too many questions with a project like this :P that since its already been said and that "said" was too involved for any good final answer though a search will find you a lot of info, most just read the obvious "TGP 3.1L Difference vs every NA and 3.1L" above and realized they better be ready to take on a task with some cash :!: It has been done, but its not for the weak stomach :wink:

Jeff M

hey its me the newbie. Yes i was looking into the 3.1 turbo swap into my car and i looked in "TGP 3.1L Difference vs every NA and 3.1L" That only gives me the specs on the motor and not on the electronic aspect. I have read some places i don't need to switch harnes and just need the chip from the ecm of the 3.1 turbo and put it in my computer. But iam not sure so feedback would be helpful

hey its me the newbie. Yes i was looking into the 3.1 turbo swap into my car and i looked in "TGP 3.1L Difference vs every NA and 3.1L" That only gives me the specs on the motor and not on the electronic aspect. I have read some places i don't need to switch harnes and just need the chip from the ecm of the 3.1 turbo and put it in my computer. But iam not sure so feedback would be helpful

You mean another "newbie", if you look above you will see I quoted my buddie "bossman429" not you 8) . Now that we have a little more detail from you 8) , I can say from hearing other owners of Cavilers, Berretas, Cutties, etc, that have looked into just such a swap, that the wiring is different, plain and simple is the involvement would best be handled by visiting the library and copying the wiring diagram of the TGP and your car to find and work out the changes needed since I believe you don't have to swap in a TGP harness just to get your intended results. Some differences are boost control which you DO NEED, manual negates driveability but more importantly a valuable safety feature in the chip’s control of boost!!!! (knock-knock hello?) There are also differences elsewhere with the EGR, Gauge Cluster Feeds and such things that you will uncover with those diagrams. Of course there is the final breakpoint of the TGP/chip being used with a non-E/Electronic Transmission that has stopped many a turbo swaps in later models, unless you can patch all this code together, or swap to a non-E/TGP tranny of which is heavier duty than any other known 4T60.

So does that help?????

Jeff M