skiiirt

Well its -30ºC (-22ºF) today. My car started wonderfully thanks to my new oil pan heater. The dumbass who replaced my seized engine with my rebuilt forgot about my block heater (how you can forget something like that up here I do not know).

But I have bigger problems. I have no heat. Its blows about -5ºC air, which I admit is better than sitting outside but its still tooooo fucking cold.

2 Questions.

1) My ECC is giving my an error 109 which has something to do with The Air Door Actuator/Motor Testing inspection, this states there is a Serial Data Line Failure.

Can this be fixed by replacing my ECC (I was quoted around $500 to fix)

2) Can i replace it with one from the USA (considering I have a Canadian car that uses ºC)

If your getting a code 109 that probably means that the servo is fried or there's an electrical short. I doubt that the ECM is dead. But even if the thing is stuck in a given posistion you should still be able to get heat on some setting or another. I you just had your engine reabuilt it seems more likely that you've got air trapped in the coolant lines that lead to the heater core. To fix that you can either bleed the system using the valves, or drive untill the problem fixes itself (which could take a while).

My car barely warmed up today also (in Saskatoon minus 25 or so..) so I might go down to crappy tire and see if there is a warmer thermostat available cuz my car never goes past the cold mark and a quarter on my guage (usually right in between those to points.) However, plugging it in helps it get to that normal position very fast.

Sorry to highjack.. back on topic, possibly thermostat but if your getting codes I bet something else like WhiteOut said is screwed!

- Jeff L

i wouldn't use a block heater that heats your oil. baking your oil doesn't seem like bright idea to me.

do it right and get a heater that heats the coolant

2 Questions.

1) My ECC is giving my an error 109 which has something to do with The Air Door Actuator/Motor Testing inspection, this states there is a Serial Data Line Failure.

Can this be fixed by replacing my ECC (I was quoted around $500 to fix)

2) Can i replace it with one from the USA (considering I have a Canadian car that uses ºC)

I dont think its baking my oil, and it heats the block just as good as a block heater does, except i wont have -25º oil, instead closer to normal operating temp.

I plug in my car if it drops below 0, I like to keep my car happy, not frozen

I dont think its baking my oil, and it heats the block just as good as a block heater does, except i wont have -25º oil, instead closer to normal operating temp.

that's what multi weight oil is for

Just run Esso XD-3 0W30 Synthetic, with its pumpability down to -50C, and forget about the whole block heater. ;)

As for the ECC, there are no differences between the USA and the Canadian one. The metric/imperial settings are controlled through the grey English/Metric wire that is in the harness, and the harness would not be replaced if you are just replacing the ECC head unit.

So would this 109 error be in the climate control unit itself or somewhere in the wires? I dont know anything about ECC and how its wired or how it works. Im going on what mechanics have told me. And I dont wanna pay $500- $800 to fix this. I know it can be done way cheaper

I knowI can find me a ECC unit not in use that works.

I can see the error 109 being the reason i dont get heat, seems every once and a while i get good heat, then one day like yesterday i get zero heat, man i wish the a/c could blow air that cold

So would this 109 error be in the climate control unit itself or somewhere in the wires? I dont know anything about ECC and how its wired or how it works. Im going on what mechanics have told me. And I dont wanna pay $500- $800 to fix this. I know it can be done way cheaper

I knowI can find me a ECC unit not in use that works.

I can see the error 109 being the reason i dont get heat, seems every once and a while i get good heat, then one day like yesterday i get zero heat, man i wish the a/c could blow air that cold

Yeah go find yourself another ECC HeadUnit and try it.