how to lower a 89 cutlass?

stlunatics2oo3

yeah i figured on cuttin the front but how do i lower the rear end other then sand bag i mean like can't ya heat up that monoleaf and then sand bag or what

Guest TurboSedan

only other thing is coilovers. i have them and i can totally slam the rear end or bring it 1.5" above stock in minutes if i want. they aren't cheap but they aren't *that* expensive - probably $300 something. i have Eibach 1.5 drop front springs but i'm cutting 1/4 coil off of them soon. trying to lower a W-body pretty much sucks.

joshua

I've heard of taking a belt sander to the rear monoleaf. Just take a little material off and it should sit lower.

I have not tried this and I suggest no one try it. I don't know if it will hurt the spring...I'm assuming it will.

Jason

theres one guy on Sound Domain that put a "leaf spring helper" under his car and since the W-Body's have the upside down style spring vs. conventional leaf springs, he claimed it lowered his grand prix a good bit......is he a member here?

theres one guy on Sound Domain that put a "leaf spring helper" under his car and since the W-Body's have the upside down style spring vs. conventional leaf springs, he claimed it lowered his grand prix a good bit......is he a member here?

Wouldn't a leaf spring helper, if it does anything, increase the arch of the leaf spring, thereby raising the rearend of the car???

I guess not with the upside down leaf spring on the W-bodys......anyway, thats what that guy said....I'm not 100% sure....I'll find the link and post it....theres a underside picture of the car showing this

Really, all the leaf spring helpers I have ever seen either increase the arch of the spring or increase the load carrying capabilities of the spring. I have never seen one that flattens a leaf spring.

well after 30+mins of searching, I finally found that damn site...argh!!! here's the link http://members.sounddomain.com/joebcott looks like that Prix sits pretty damn low...i think he has the front drop springs and as mentioned the leaf spring helper thing in the back

EDIT: fixed the link....sorry I'm such a dumbass that I linked back to this post :oops:

Guest Anonymous
LINK IS FIXED....see above post.......made this post in order to notify that I fixed the old post.....I'm confused :!: :?: :twisted: :D :lol: 8) :? :cry: :arrow:

Uhhhh, ok, I guess... Maybe you should have another one. :lol:

bar00.gif

Ah, I see, just as I suspected, he has the leaf spring helper mounted upside-down and remove the center jack pad.

I guess that would work, but is it a good idea to not have the jack pad there?

If he never jacks the rear end of the car up with the jack pad then I don't see why he would need it. I have to wonder if he used any kind of pad between the U-bolts and the leaf spring.

Doesn't look like it.

I jack the car up on that jack pad all the time if I have to do rear struts or any other rear service, but I guess that's not necessary.

Seems like a nice cheap idea. I had thought of that before, but I thought the rubbing of the spring helper on the spring itself would cause problems and noise, lots of noise.

I think thats just a universal helper spring for light duty to full size pickups and also suvs.....try JcWHitney....I think they sell em and I know for sure that Summit has them.....try this link http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=7249&view=257#largerimage

I did a general search on google.com and found some light to "super duty" springs that suppose to raise trucks/SUVs higher and if these springs have an adverse affect then I'm assuming the super duty ones would drop our cars more :?:

oh that kid with that grand prix well i email him and he replied sayin the front of the car was lowered by spring clamps and the rear was by a helper spring so my question is how do i take the jack pad off casue this seems like a very cheap lowering job lol so please let me kno and if them spring clamps would work thanks every one

jack pads comes off with screws, i never put mine back on after the coil over install, But i need to. Don't do a hack job like that jsut save for the coil overs and do it right. I am jsut waiting for the front to come out. Later Jay