Evaporator flush - 3.8 Intrigue

Cutlass

I just picked up a 99 Intrigue with 67k miles. Great car, the only problem I'm seeing is that the air coming out of the vents isn't very powerful. I had an Eighty-Eight with the same problem and the mechanic fixed it by flushing out the evaporator. I'd like to do it myself this time, but I really don't know the procedure. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I just picked up a 99 Intrigue with 67k miles. Great car, the only problem I'm seeing is that the air coming out of the vents isn't very powerful. I had an Eighty-Eight with the same problem and the mechanic fixed it by flushing out the evaporator. I'd like to do it myself this time, but I really don't know the procedure. Can anyone help? Thanks.

It's not clear to me what you mean by "air coming out of the vents isn't very powerful..." Do you mean the air isn't cold or the air isn't coming out fast enough?

By "flushing" do you mean cleaning the outside of the evaporator of dirt and debris or actually flushing the inside of the evaporator?

If you're flushing the inside of the evaporator, you have a much more serious problem. The inside of the evaporator shouldn't clog unless the compressor blew its guts (black death). :shock:

http://www.ackits.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=9178

Go here and spend an hour or so reading the posts. The "Tips and FAQ are most helpful:

http://www.ackits.com/forum/

I think he means that the evap is plugged up on the outside and it needs to be cleaned, all you have to do is get to it by taking apart some of the interior. Another thing is you can do is take some brake cleaner and use that to degrease it and bring out all the stubborn dirt. Then take some compressed air and dry it out. If you think this is too complicated you can a hose and just spray in the vent on the windshield cowl where the car takes in air for the interior. You should also check to see if ur vacum is working.