how rare is the DOHC STE?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

just like the title says. i presume they were only made in '91 & '92?

i have my eye on a maroon one right now. i found it sitting in a guys yard with tags that expired 2 years ago. it's maroon, grey leather, HUD, and power moonroof. nice looking car inside/out. i'm not sure of mileage yet. according to the owner's wife it is for sale. she said it would probably be "pretty cheap". she said it didn't run and it "might be a sensor or something". she says she doesn't like the car because it was her husband's ex wifes car :lol: i'm offering $400 cash for it tomarrow....unless the timing belt is broken or something of course (i have a bad feeling that's what it is).

They really weren't too rare.

There is a maroon TSTE sitting sitting in the woods back home. I remember them trying to sell it some four years ago with 80k on it. Sat in front of the house for sale for awhile, then it just migrated back to the woods where its been sitting. I've been tempted to ask if they still wanna get rid of it.

Guest TurboSedan

yeah when i spotted the car i was REALLY hoping it was a TSTE. but anyways i think it would be really cool to get into the DOHC...i'm not afraid of working on it! hell i almost hope the timing belt is broken on this thing now that i think about it. that would really drive the price down.

'91+ STEs don't have PM3 brakes do they? i hope not...

I was at the wreckers and the guy had one for sale for 1200$ less now (that was like 4 months ago) , its a 3.4 with about 180-190k miles. Its fully loaded except for HUD, beautiful car, but i'm weary of the 3.4.

The PMIII slowly went out of phase in 91. There's probably a small chance that it's a PMIII equipped car, but you could get lucky.

If it was a 5 speed DOHC STE, that'd be even more rare. 8)

Guest TurboSedan
The PMIII slowly went out of phase in 91. There's probably a small chance that it's a PMIII equipped car, but you could get lucky.

If it was a 5 speed DOHC STE, that'd be even more rare. 8)

this car is automatic. but i do have a spare Getrag 282 sitting in my garage looking for a good home.

Guest TurboSedan
Would the 282 and the DOHC play well together at 6000-7000 RPM? :lol:

believe me i'd love to find out :D

EDIT: seriously though, i'd keep it automatic. i already have two 5-speed cars anyway.

They aren't to rare but of the about 15 STE's I've seen in my lifetime about 4 of 'em were LQ1's, most of 'em are the N/A 3.1's.

same here, whenever i see a STE(mostly n/a 3.1) they're beaten to hell(except for a few ive seen), and there are usually like 4 or 5 hispanic people crammed into it.

same here, whenever i see a STE(mostly n/a 3.1) they're beaten to hell(except for a few ive seen), and there are usually like 4 or 5 hispanic people crammed into it.

AHAHA

Now that I think about it I saw one that was teal one time, and theres one on campus that's 2 -tone silver and gray, looks sharp.

They aren't to rare but of the about 15 STE's I've seen in my lifetime about 4 of 'em were LQ1's, most of 'em are the N/A 3.1's.

that's the condition of w-bodies in general around here

There is a maroon TSTE sitting sitting in the woods back home.

Dude, ask! If you aren't really looking for one right now or anything, I'd love to find a TGP motor. Maybe have to pick up my old 91 GP SE again and drop the drivetrain in there.

There is a maroon TSTE sitting sitting in the woods back home.

Dude, ask! If you aren't really looking for one right now or anything, I'd love to find a TGP motor. Maybe have to pick up my old 91 GP SE again and drop the drivetrain in there.

I can try to get ahold of 'em. Its been sitting forever. A buddy of mine asked one of the kids about it last year.. all he could remember was that it had 'all kinds of electrical problems.' They've got like 10 cars in the driveway.. perhaps they'd let this one go inexpensively. Hmm.