Simply amazing (brakes)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Todays project was to check out the brakes on the CS so I can hopefully get it on the road this week. The fronts looked good except for some rust on the rotors. Not bad enough to replace them though. After a short drive it should be wore off. Besides, the rotors and pads look to be new. Now for the backs. Just like the fronts there was a little rust on the rotors, nothing too bad. They also looked new along with the pads. Now to see if the calipers are working. Remember, this car hasn't been inspected since early '03. Naturally you would think the calipers would be froze tighter than a nuns ****. Although they were very rusted, they moved just like new ones. Damn things will probably freeze up after I start driving it and using the brakes. :roll:

Just ordered all new e-brake cables and the exhaust is getting welded this week. Then It goes on the road. I can't wait.

Guest Anonymous
maybe the calipers were replaced with problem-solvers. We should be all fortunate!

I doubt it. The rubber dust caps are soooooo dryrotted. The have to be the originals. I was afraid to touch them.

Guest Anonymous
impossible. The caps may be dry rotted, but the sliders are probably either stainless steel or alloy. If they're original steelies, then play the lotto tonight!

If you saw the amount of rust on the calipers you would believe they are original. The e-brake cables don't look like they've ever been removed from the calipers either. I grab the drivers side to take it out and it broke and crumbled in my hand. :smilielol:

Also, if anyone wants 4 slightly messed up security lugnuts, they are laying somewhere near the railroad tracks. :lol: Apparently someone lost the tool for them and got a replacement from a j/y. (it was also covered in 1/4" of rust) Obviously it wasn't going to work. So I took a BFH and pounded it on each security nut to get it loose. :shock:

I fought with Jess's rear brakes on her TGP a month or so ago. Both calipers were siezed, one more so than the other. We replaced one, and I lubed the other one up really well, and it's acting up again, so it's getting replaced here in the next few weeks.

The thing that pissed me off is whoever worked on the rear brakes the last time, put the wrong size of bolt back in the calipers. The GM manual says 18MM bolts, but an 18MM wrench didn't fit! I used a 19mm and got them off (after lots of PB Blaster and cussing)... THEN come to find out the bolts are 3/4"!! Was I pissed? Oh hell yes, what kind of idiot replaces a bolt with the wrong size!? (on both wheels none the less)

Have fun with them! 8) :lol:

Also, if anyone wants 4 slightly messed up security lugnuts, they are laying somewhere near the railroad tracks. Apparently someone lost the tool for them and got a replacement from a j/y. (it was also covered in 1/4" of rust) Obviously it wasn't going to work. So I took a BFH and pounded it on each security nut to get it loose.

What the hell are security lugnuts?

Also, if anyone wants 4 slightly messed up security lugnuts, they are laying somewhere near the railroad tracks. Apparently someone lost the tool for them and got a replacement from a j/y. (it was also covered in 1/4" of rust) Obviously it wasn't going to work. So I took a BFH and pounded it on each security nut to get it loose.

lugnuts that you need a keyed socket to remove them

or if you forget the tool at home like i did you can just pound a remover tool of sorts over em with a BFH and use a breaker bar to get em off.

5speedz34 wrote:

Quote:

lugnuts that you need a keyed socket to remove them

Ohh ok, I thought so but I thought he was talking about the plastic caps for a minute.

Guest Anonymous
And if you wanna run with another cutty someday, you know where to find me! :twisted:

Behind me... But seriously, I'll run you after spring gets here. :twisted: I'll keep it below 12psi. :lol:

Guest Anonymous
How much did the e-brake cables run you, are they delco or aftermarket?

Aftermarket. Tru-torque

Front--$15.88

Rear left--$18.88

Rear Right--$19.48

The Raybestos were very close in price but took 3-4 days to ship.

And if you wanna run with another cutty someday, you know where to find me! :twisted:

Behind me... But seriously, I'll run you after spring gets here. :twisted: I'll keep it below 12psi. :lol:

Wait a second. That's not cool. I'll have my ass handed to me on a black platter.