peeling dash in the luminas. anybody figure out a GOOD fix?

zachz34

91 Z34. The dash parts that are the soft stuff (with foam backing it appears) are starting to peel up pretty bad. The dash pad is getting worse and worse, and I'll probably pick up a new dash pad of ebay, but how about for the rest of the soft parts in the car? I'm scared to just start taking stuff apart, because I dont really want to destroy it worse than it already is, but at the same time... I would like to fix it.

Has anybody found a good way to fix this stuff?

i fixed mine almost a year ago now, its holding awesome still.

u cleaned under the bent up area prety good, then bought a 2 part epoxy and put in in the cracks and around the speaker where it was bent up too and used a long thin board with c clamps holding it down overnight, took it off the next morning and it was good as new.

i fixed mine almost a year ago now, its holding awesome still.

u cleaned under the bent up area prety good, then bought a 2 part epoxy and put in in the cracks and around the speaker where it was bent up too and used a long thin board with c clamps holding it down overnight, took it off the next morning and it was good as new.

Might do that with mine. Did you have to fix the rest of the dash, like around the stereo and steering column? Thats where mines the worst.

Might do that with mine. Did you have to fix the rest of the dash, like around the stereo and steering column? Thats where mines the worst.

my dash has never been too bad around the stereo and column so i never had to fix it, the only other area of concern is around my headlight switch, however i haven't thought aof a way to fix it and replaceing it is kinds out of the question since every single lumina i have seen has it warped in the same spot. i'm too lazy to post pics of my restored dashpad, if you want the pics i have em just hit me up on im.

The glue has likely become"unglued". The best way to fix, is to pull the dash pad out of the car & peel the pad from it's base. Clean everything off & relay it. Use either an epoxy, or some other industrial strength contact cement. Clamp it & let it dry.

The glue has likely become"unglued". The best way to fix, is to pull the dash pad out of the car & peel the pad from it's base. Clean everything off & relay it. Use either an epoxy, or some other industrial strength contact cement. Clamp it & let it dry.

its partly that but in luminas its common for the vynal covering to shrink from years in the sunlight and heating and cooling with the defroster in the winter

I used gorilla glue in a spot, and that spot still holds.. Even though my entire dash cracked and breoke in the wreck, that spot is still glued.. Just my 2 cents.. That shit is the kick assiest stuff around..

I used gorilla glue in a spot, and that spot still holds.. Even though my entire dash cracked and breoke in the wreck, that spot is still glued.. Just my 2 cents.. That shit is the kick assiest stuff around..

I always wondered about that stuff.... :idea:

Use the same approach as with the epoxy.. Clamp it w/ a paint stick or something so ya dont fuck up the vinyl.. THe thing about Gorilla glue that is better than epoxy is that it expands to fill spaces and pulls together as it dries.. And it works better on the fiberous things like the padding underneath the vinyl..

Mine's only peeling up around the defroster area. It's kinda warped too, the outer grill won't even fit in place right anymore. I used about a whole roll (they're not very long) of 3M 5lb double sided tape under it; it isn't the greatest but it's a lot better than it was.