Rear brake pads for 96 Regal?

ron350

Hello GM fans.

It is time to replace the rear brake pads on my 1996 Regal. The rear pads have always made a growling noise especially when backing up. Some where I heard that GM changed the pads to cure this problem. Does any one know if GM changed the rear pads to fix the problem are do I need to go after market?

I have run a “search” on a couple of GM forums and no one seams to agree who has the best pads for our cars. Never knew there were that many Brake brands out there.

One other thing is there a difference between metallic pads and carbon metallic pads?

Thanks Ron.

Well you could go with the standard organic pads, which are a good balance of stopping power, low dust, and little noise. Ceramic pads have a tremendous life span, are practically dust-free, and make no noise whatsoever. The only trade-off is that due to their "hockey-puck" construction, they don't stop the car very well. Semi-Metallics and Carbon Metallics, on the other hand stop the car on a dime, but are very noisy, dusty, and they wear out fairly quickly.

Take your pick, but if you want to play it safe, go with the Raybestos PG Plus pad. EBC Greenstuff pads are an excellent Carbon Metallic pad, but they aren't offered for the rear of the 94-96 W's.

Personally, I'm going with Performance Friction pads front and rear next time I change the pads on my Regal...

Another thing, the only change that occured was the design of the rear calipers and rotors. The change started with the 94 model year for the Regal, Cutlass, and Grand Prix. Luminas had the older style rear brakes in 94, got drums in 95, and finally had the new style discs available in 96...

My Raybestos QS Ceramics on my fronts haven't given me an ounce of trouble, and no difference between them and the non-ceramic pads I was previously using. It was down to -15C here last night and the brakes didn't feel any worse than they did in the summertime.

I think the rears come out to being about $50 at http://www.rockauto.com + shipping/tax.

Personally, I'm going with Performance Friction pads front and rear next time I change the pads on my Regal...

You are SO going to regret choosing those in about 5000-8000 miles. Take it from someone who's put them on 2 w-bodies.

I'd say the PG + Raybestos, or the Prostop ceramics at pepboys. I have the PS ceramic at all 4 on my car and they're doing great.

They overheat, glaze everything, tear the living hell out of rotors front and rear. It's the sole reason I did my sister's whole car over within about 6000 miles. Rotors were a disgrace, and her brakes just sucked.

You are SO going to regret choosing those in about 5000-8000 miles. Take it from someone who's put them on 2 w-bodies.

Thanks for the warning! I've already tried the Raybestos Quietstop pads, and wasn't too impressed with their stopping power. Maybe I'll go with EBC Greenstuffs on the front and PG Plus on the back seeing as EBC doesn't make Carbon Metallics for the rear. I put the EBC's on the wife's car about 10k miles ago and other then them producing a ton of brake dust, they've been problem free...

• 6 years later...

Anybody have a picture of how these pads clip in? My buddy ripped em off before I ever saw them and now I'm trying to install new pads blind on his 1996 Grand Prix SE. :/

Anybody have a picture of how these pads clip in? My buddy ripped em off before I ever saw them and now I'm trying to install new pads blind on his 1996 Grand Prix SE. :/

Little late... however you should have just taken the rear wheel off my old lumina to see. Remember that car has 94+ brakes. Should be the same as the 96 regal.